Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold crack or gasket leak or...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold crack or gasket leak or...

Hey all.

This has all of the makings of a manifold crack or leak, but I thought I'd ask anyway, to see if anyone has a different opinion or experience.

I started to notice the noise over the past couple of weeks, it's especially pronounced when I'm accelerating at anything more than 1/3 throttle.

So, what say you, LRF commentariat?

- H.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have someone hold a rag over the exhaust while you feel around under the hood, the back pressure should blow out somewhere.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

First thing I would do is use a 12 point 13mm socket and see if you can snug any of those bolts near the noise.

If that does not work -
you would want to replace the exhaust gaskets from manifold to cylinder head.

I am betting snugging up the correct two bolts will work.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RacerX, you figure out what the issue was?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
have someone hold a rag over the exhaust while you feel around under the hood, the back pressure should blow out somewhere.
Another less painful approach is to hook up the outlet side of a shop vac to the exhaust then look for leaks using a spray bottle filled with soapy water. With the exhaust cold you won't have to smell your burning flesh plus it will probably leak more than it does when it is hot and expanded.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (06-12-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
Yeah, that's if the heat doesn't sear my skin first. Think I might try another approach.

Originally Posted by jfall
First thing I would do is use a 12 point 13mm socket and see if you can snug any of those bolts near the noise.

If that does not work -
you would want to replace the exhaust gaskets from manifold to cylinder head.

I am betting snugging up the correct two bolts will work.
I tried this, they were pretty snug. That said, I didn't want to just crank away on them, as I didn't have any spares handy if one snapped.

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Another less painful approach is to hook up the outlet side of a shop vac to the exhaust then look for leaks using a spray bottle filled with soapy water. With the exhaust cold you won't have to smell your burning flesh plus it will probably leak more than it does when it is hot and expanded.
This idea. I like this idea better.

I've been slowly collecting the parts needed to look into this, as I don't have a place to let the truck sit for days on end should the problem be a cracked manifold. I should have a replacement manifold in another few days along with all the gaskets, etc. I'll pull the manifold, and if it's just a gasket I'll sell the spare on eBay. If it's a crack, then I've got a spare ready to go in!

I'll post up with the results when I make the repairs.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update. I'm chasing an issue that might be related.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a similar sound. I let the truck cool overnight, started it and stuck my hand down there to see if I could feel anything. This only takes a few seconds, you don't have to worry about burning your hand.

Sure enough I felt air coming out between the head and the block at the # 6 cylinder. I hope this isn't your issue but with the motor cool you will have no problem finding your issue.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

04duxlr, your idea wins.

I found the leak, between the y-pipe and manifold, it would seem that the gasket has blown out there.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem but I used the seafoam induction method to find my leak.. Nothing like getting a face full of smoke when your head is under the bonnet! Should I install the new gasket as it came (just bare metal) or add some sort of sealant to the new metal gasket?

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold crack or gasket leak or...