Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Manifold Removal / Replacement Disco II WITH Secondary Air Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Removal / Replacement Disco II WITH Secondary Air Engine

2001 Disco II with the WITH Secondary air (Bosch) engine).

I'm fitting a new exhaust front piece - the Y-piece with the catalytic converters, which are both shot. O2 sensors were replaced but then my Autel told me the catalysts had had it too. Oh well. It's only (the wife's) money...

Anyway, as is usually the case, one of the studs in the driver's (left / port) side exhaust manifold has broken off. It's the one on the outside, nearest the wheel if that makes any difference.

I've tried heating the manifold up to nearly red hot. No luck. Plan B is to hammer an under-sized socket onto the broken end of the stud and hope I can unscrew it that way. Plan C is to cut it off flush with the face and drill it out from underneath.

If none of these work, the exhaust manifold has to come off and the stud can be drilled out from the top, either by me or a local machinist.

No big deal for me, I shall probably take both off and check them for cracks while I'm at it, but three questions:

Q1 - what size Torx (?) bit do I need for the manifold to cylinder head bolts?

Q2 - are weld repairs possible / likely to be successful on these manifolds if I do find any cracks?

Q3 - what torque setting should be used on re-assembly - assuming I don't just loose it and stuff a gasoline soaked rag in the fuel tank inlet and ....?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:46 PM
4wd Low
Default Well, I Got the Port Side Manifold Off the Engine....

Now how the heck do I get it out of the car?

Doesn't seem to want to go out through the bottom, and there's a lot of plumbing in the way stopping it from coming out the top.

Help PLEASE!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 PM
4wd Low

Got it out but had to take off the freon lines to and from the compressor. Add new freon to the repair bill.....

Old 09-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonBroke
Got it out but had to take off the freon lines to and from the compressor. Add new freon to the repair bill.....
And a new receiver-dryer and the cost for a vac-refill ...

Old 09-18-2016, 06:21 PM
4wd Low

Huh?

Please give me the Sesame Street version of that?

Can't I just go and buy a can of new freon and fill her up?

A/C hasnt worked for ages (fan problem) anyway, but...

Old 09-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Sorry, but no.

An AC system must be evacuated to remove all of the water vapor/moisture from it before it is refilled with refrigerant (i.e. freon). An open system also contaminates the receiver dryer so it needs to be replaced also.

It may very well be that you did no further harm to your system by opening it up if it wasn't working for the last several years anyway. It may be that it had a leak and the freon leaked out a long time ago and your receiver dryer was already shot and to get it working correctly you needed to replace it and have the system evacuated and recharged.

But whether or not that was the case before it most certainly is now. I don't know where you are but around here and vacuum and refill is probably around 150 bucks or so. And whatever you do, don't buy a new receiver dryer and then drive it to the shop to have the system evacuated and recharged. That would just ruin your new receiver drier.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:29 PM
4wd Low

A/C System was full of freon, recently topped up and the A/C worked for a few days after a bad fan motor ballast resistor was replaced. Now I think the fan motor itself has given up the ghost - no problem as I have a spare.

Given that I just opened up the A/C today, given it hasn't been raining and we've had 95+ degree heat here all week (and all weekend and all next week too according to the forecast), I suspect the drier will be okay. I'll give it a shot anyway, but out of interest, where is the drier anyway? I looked on line on roverparts.com and it looks like it's a 20 dollar part, so no big deal so long as I can fit it myself.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Given that I just opened up the A/C today, given it hasn't been raining and we've had 95+ degree heat here all week (and all weekend and all next week too according to the forecast), I suspect the drier will be okay. I'll give it a shot anyway, but out of interest, where is the drier anyway? I looked on line on roverparts.com and it looks like it's a 20 dollar part, so no big deal so long as I can fit it myself.

Given that you apparently know more about auto air conditioning systems than the experts (of which I am not one) why come here and ask questions?

Last edited by mln01; 09-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 AM
4wd Low

Bachelors in mechanical engineering, lapsed CEng MIMechE, 28 years in the oil field, 35+ years fixing cars and motorcycles. Dad was an industrial HVAC engineer, so I picked up a thing or two about air conditioning on the way too. How about you?

Came here for tips on removing an exhaust manifold, mentioned I had to remove the A/C hoses, told I had to replace the moisture filter, questioned why given the 95 deg.temperatures, no rain, low humidity (for Houston) we are experiencing, got your smartarse reply.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

got your smartarse reply.
Your first newbie thread didn't inspire much confidence in your knowledge base or abilities.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...8-disco-80718/

Recommend if you want to continue getting help around here you tame your defensive/offensive remarks.