Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust sealant at y-pipe/muffler connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021 | 04:46 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default exhaust sealant at y-pipe/muffler connection

Allrighty, totally new exhaust system from the Y-pipe down.

new Magnaflow cats ( full y pipe)
new Genuine muffler
new tailpipe (britpart)

I have condensation from my cats leaking at the connection of the y-pipe and muffler, and have adjusted it 3 different times, including using a jack to hold the y-pipe and muffler perfectly aligned. It seated properly last time I adjusted it, but now it seems it might have worked it's way slightly off center of each other.

It's a bit annoying as it's all new, so I want it to be sealed up well. it's not any louder currently, but I imagine it probably would over time.

has anyone use any exhaust sealant like permatex high temp silicon maker? I did use copper spray at the connections when I installed it, but that obviously isn't working.

permeatex ultra copper high-temp silicone
https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 07-18-2021 | 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy

I have a bit of leak there too, but my condensation comes out the back. There are days I wish I lived in a less humid climate. But Hi temp should work, I am about do do the same on my Y pipe to manifold connections they both leak a bit

Old 07-18-2021 | 09:35 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
I have a bit of leak there too, but my condensation comes out the back. There are days I wish I lived in a less humid climate. But Hi temp should work, I am about do do the same on my Y pipe to manifold connections they both leak a bit

yeah it usually just drips out the back like normal. Guess I’ll try it! My exhaust hangers rot out in 7 months from the heat so I’ve got some new poly ones on the way to see if those hold up better than the rubber, so I’ll have to get under there anyways