Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expansion Tank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Expansion Tank Replacement

Yes I know, another coolant leak thread. But this is a Land Rover forum, so what do you expect?

Just found out that my coolant expansion tank is leaking on my D2. I don't think that the hoses attached to it are the issue because there isn't any orange crud around the ends of them. I am pretty sure that the reservoir is the problem because its underside of it is always wet with coolant. I also see coolant drips on the shock tower.

I think my only option is to replace the tank with this one: Overflow Tank : Overflow Tank Assembly

My question is this: Will the stock cap fit the non-oem unit? I just bought this cap 10k miles ago and I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 11-15-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Yes I know, another coolant leak thread. But this is a Land Rover forum, so what do you expect?

Just found out that my coolant expansion tank is leaking on my D2. I don't think that the hoses attached to it are the issue because there isn't any orange crud around the ends of them. I am pretty sure that the reservoir is the problem because its underside of it is always wet with coolant. I also see coolant drips on the shock tower.

I think my only option is to replace the tank with this one: Overflow Tank : Overflow Tank Assembly

My question is this: Will the stock cap fit the non-oem unit? I just bought this cap 10k miles ago and I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks.
I would get the replacement from Atlantic British and not take any chances. Also consider replacing the lines that run to the tank as well so you don't have to later and give air another opportunity to enter your cooling system

Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd suggest draining the system and taking out the reservoir to inspect it more thoroughly before replacing. Make sure you know the exact area of the leak and the likely cause before spending a lot of money.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

common problem i went with a cheap after market, which started leaking again in a couple months. I would spend the money on a good one

Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Before I buy a new one, is there any way of fixing the old one? I can see the crack (about a half inch long). I was thinking of using a solder to melt the plastic back together or using RTV.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Replace it...don't try to fix it.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

It's under the same pressure your whole system is. Your fix would only just be a surface fix. It would crack again straight away I would expect.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Where on the tank is the crack?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well the first crack I saw was in the middle of bottom of the tank (at a seam between the compartments). I found another one though.

I just got home from work (the disco is not my daily) and saw a puddle under the car (about a 2ft diameter). I saw that the tank was nearly empty and the throttle body return line had snapped at the tank. So in short, my disco is non-op for a while.

So it looks like I need a tank, tank cap, and a return line.

Looks expensive...

Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 11-17-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm at a meeting this evening and will reply again a little later tonight, but you shouldn't need a new cap, you may not need a new tank (!), and you may, depending on your risk tolerance with respect to the throttle body heater, not need a new line either. Details to follow.

Quick Reply: Expansion Tank Replacement