Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Rear Ladder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Extended Rear Ladder?

Hello Good People,

Where can an extended ladder be had?
Most stores online seem to only carry the short version that goes from the top of the door to underneath the cargo door handle.

Are there any pros and cons to having one or another?

T.I.A.

Attached Thumbnails Extended Rear Ladder?-rover-rear-ladder-option.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a D2, it may be a custom fab job my dude. I haven't seen anything on the market suggesting an extension to the factory rear ladder.

It would be an easy job to do. But don't take my word for it, you never know what is out there and you may find what you need.

The following users liked this post:
Toran (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Auh...a custom ladder you say.
I was wondering if those UK owners had yet another feature piece that never made it across the pond. I actually like the longer ladder and seeing that I do I haven't seen any place that stocks them. The custom piece now explains it.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The ladder on the left in your photo was made by Baja Rack. I have one and really like it. I believe it was only available for a short time. I have no idea why it was discontinued. You might try contacting Baja Rack. It did not require drilling any holes to mount.

Toran (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Colorado David!
Just what I was looking for. Do you recall how its attached to the door, rivets or screws etc?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Toran
Thanks Colorado David!
Just what I was looking for. Do you recall how its attached to the door, rivets or screws etc?

Thanks!
There is a metal lip over the top and bottom of the door. They bolt to the ladder assembly and keep it in tension top to bottom. It was a very simple installation although I did strip the bolts that came with it and went to the hardware store and replaced them with grade 8 bolts and nuts.

Toran (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Very nice so need for drilling.
I sent a message to BajaRack but no responds yet, and I didn't see this item on their site

Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran

Are there any pros and cons to having one or another?

T.I.A.
Seems like the picture on the left can hold more weight but still attached to the rear door anyway. I have the one on the right but never had problems with it. Ladders are great to hold on to when you climb the rear bumper especially when you raise your truck. But most of the time I use the rear tire to climb the roof rack. Easier to get things from the roof.
The one on the right has versions too with one using a larger round tubing and the other with solid square rod. The best addition to those upgrades are having a rear step that comes with the SE7 discos. It makes a lot easier to climb the bumper to the ladder no danger ripping your pants.

Toran (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks LR03NJ for the feedback.
Going to save the pants and also look at getting a rear step.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Please post if and when you hear anything from BajaRack. I bought my full-length ladder at the same time I bought my rack which was shortly after they became available. I really like the ladder and can't imagine why they don't still offer it. I have since had to replace my roof rack so I have the newer mounting system now. The replacement was not the fault of BajaRack. I had taken my DII to a shop for some work and they ran it through the wash. The kid who drove it through the wash didn't realize it wouldn't fit and mangled the old rack trying to get it out of the wash. I wonder what happened to the car wash equipment? I wonder if that guy still works there?

Quick Reply: Extended Rear Ladder?