Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 05:49 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exterior Care

I've had a red '00 D2 since new. It still looks pretty good.

I used Black Magic synthetic polish (not carnauba wax) on the exterior, and it was great. The shiniest shine, relatively easy to apply, very smooth finish. Other D2 owners used to ask me where I got it repainted and were surprised to find it was just the original finish polished. Sadly, the product is no longer made, and I think they went out of business.

For in between care, I used a biodegradable, water-less, synthetic combination cleaner/polish called EcoGreen AutoClean. Super easy to apply, great surfactant, very smooth finish. They too have gone out of business.

Can anyone recommend any really outstanding replacements? I tried a water-less cleaner/polish from Chemical Guys and it is awful: the surfactant does nothing, the polish is old tech carnauba wax. (I find carnauba wax more work, less smooth to the touch, and not as shiny as the best synthetics.)

Old 05-01-2022, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

If you're set on a rinseless wash, I've had good luck with Ammo NYC Frothe in a foam gun. Its a bit pricey but it works well for when I need to clean up my other cars without a hose. Otherwise, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck using a pressure washer with a foam cannon and Adam's car shampoo. Cheaper and goes much further for me than Frothe. But Frothe is the best rinseless I've used thus far.

As for a decent polish/wax, the combo I like is the Jescars Powerlock+ with Collinite 845. Goes on super easy and lasts a decent amount of time. If you're looking for synthetic, I think it'd be worthwhile to spend the time to do a ceramic coating. There's some easy to use stuff from Gtechnic or Adams. I'm using Ammo NYC's stuff which I had around from doing my other cars but the price comes into play with any of Ammo's products.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Zaino products used to have a great reputation. One of the things I loved about their polish is you can use it in direct sun, and it won't turn plastic white.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Zaino products used to have a great reputation. One of the things I loved about their polish is you can use it in direct sun, and it won't turn plastic white.
I still use this. Works great. Little pricey and kind of annoying that it can only be purchased through them. I'm always looking for something else more widely available but for some reason just keep going back to Zaino.