Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Facing a Poss Lost Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facing a Poss Lost Engine

I just spoke to the dealership this afternoon and I may have lost the engine on a 2002 Discovery with 100K.

I recently noticed it start to idle a little rough on start up and was concerned because last August I had the head gasket (plug and Magnacore wires as well) replaced at the dealership.

The engine temp spiked on two separate occasions (once immediately self correcting and I was able to continue to drive, then next day spiking, then correcting and I brought it home). I then took it to the dealer.

There appears to be coolant leaking into one of the pistons. The mechanic also indicated that because of the presence of exhaust fumes in the cylinder that he thought it was more than likely (9 times out of 10) a slipped cylinder sleeve (or a crack in the block?). Either way, he was preparing me for the likely need for a new block.

The only way to know for sure is to have then tear it down. If it just a leak in the head gasket, I am covered because it is still under warranty. If not, I guess I will have to a decision to make.

Would appreciate any thoughts regarding the mechanics diagnosis.

Although I have had a recent head gasket issue, the engine has never had any other problems (overheating, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Dave G.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, not much info here but I'd say "tear it down". Seems if the new head gasket is leaking they're on the hook for all repairs even if the sleeve has dropped, since that would be the cause for the overheating.

Your experience is a good example why you should pull over immediately when your temperature guage is showing any reading outside of normal for what you're doing.

Good luck and keep us posted! Hopefully, it's just your head gaskets again.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine overheated twice more than likely you have a cylinder sleeve slipping like the mechanic said. The truck should not have been driven again after the first time until the problem was found and corrected. You say the engine temperature spiked then you say "the engine has never had any other problems (overheating, etc.)", which is it. Temperature spiking sounds like overheating to me.

You need to have the engine torn down to find out what is really going on. Since the engine has been overheated twice I would be prepared for the worst.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Overlanding

The engine temp spiked on back to back days to the highest end of the normal range (to the 3/4 position, just below the red area) and then self corrected.

I then brought it to the dealer (It did cross the 3/4 position momentarily enroute to the dealer, I shut it down immediately and let it cool. It remained at dead center until I got it to the dealer.)

Previously, the vehicle never had overheating issues. Not did it have overheating issues before it started to run rough upon start. I had recently been hearing noises (air) in the coolant system.

You're right. I need to have it torn down. I hope I didn't cause the damage...but I guess I may have.

I hope I d

Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Rereading my post I realize I came across pretty harsh. I apologize.

A slipped cylinder sleeve will allow air into the cooling system. I would keep hoping that the head gaskets caused the problem but I'd be prepared to buy at least a new block. It would be a good time to upgrade to a 4.6L if you can find a good price.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Overlanding

No need to apologize AK. I appreciate that you took the time and interest to post. This is a great place to come to find information and assistance.

Dave G

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

From a different direction, when, exactly was the head gasket replaced? If under one year, you have a warranty from Rover for one year, and if it was the head gasket that failed that may have caused the sleeve to drop, they may be responsible.
You might want to send me your tele number.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Overlanding

Just an update -

As a late Friday, they pulled off the heads and it appears that there is not a dropped sleeve. I was told that the sleeve on the cylinder in question is lower than the others, but apparently it is not enough to be consider to be the cause of the problem. This is more inferred on my part because they are continuing testing on Monday. I think the service rep said that the drop in the sleeve was negligible or insignificant.

I guess they did an initial pressure test to the block, but they want to do more on Monday. They are going to pressure test the heads on Monday as well.

I guess if they don’t find cracks in the heads or block, it may have been the head gasket again. They replaced them last summer (June/July) and it is still under warranty.