Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Amp

I have a 1997 Discover SE7. I am trying to install a aftermarket head unit. I have read and read but it has gotten me no where. Does anyone know where the factory amp is so that i can bypass it and ook up my head unit?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Factory Amp

00 on up are under the drivers front seat I'd assume it's the same for yours ...
Here's the wiring diagram ...

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/attac...p;d=1175494264

Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Mudding

I can't see it cause i am not a member.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Mudding

There wasn't an amp under either front seat. My Disco is a series one. I did find an small amp mounted to the subwoofers, but I still have not found the main amp for the front and rear speakers. Does anyone know where it is? Has anyone replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket unit? Does the amp need to be bypassed? How big of a job was it?

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think you have an amp. I think everything comes from the deck. You are only powering four 4" and 2 tweeters. The rear amp was added for the dual 6.5" subs only. The one thing that is a little tricky......The speaker outputs share a common ground. You have to get an adapter, or you will blow most aftermarket decks. Also, there are 2 small antenna jacks. Have to find a way to combine the 2. I think the RH antenna in the rear side glass has the AM antenna too.

I have an electrical book, let me check, and I will get back to you.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Mudding

Thanks. Not having an amp will make life much easier which is maybe why I couldn't find it.My D1seems to only have one antenna as there is only one antenna wire and one antenna input on the factory unit. My antenna is on the right front bumper near the windshield.

The wiring diagram for the factory unit shows a separate ground (black)wire for each of the four (2 front, 2 rear)speakers. Do I still have a common ground? Is there some type of crossover that powers the tweaters which are mounted on the windshield pillar?

Can I power the subs off the sub auxilary out connection on the Sony unit Iam planning to install? This out connection is for use with a separate sub amp.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Camel Trophy

oops, I might have told you wrong. It looks like there is an amp behind the glovebox mounted to the far right. Check there. sorry[&o]

Not following you on the sub question. I think you are asking if the low line outs on your Sony will run the factory sub amps...Nope. Car companies make the feeds for their amps different voltages so you can't just replace with aftermarket. You will have to get a new amp too.

Why are you replacing the deck? Just the sound? I replaced al my 4" with Boston Acoustics, and it changed dramatically. I am going to order a CD changer now and add it to the factory deck. I have a Pioneer (aftermarket)deck, and was going to put it in, but I figured with all it was going to entail, it was just worth it to buy a changer and add it. I actually use the buttons around the instument cluster, though. Didn't want to lose them.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I'll check behind the glove box; I didn't look there but that was my next place to look. I'll let you know. Maybe I won't switch afterall but I'd like to plug in an iPod instead of having to use the casette tape slot and adapter for the iPod connection.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Camel Trophy

The best avenue would be http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1uCcNAJ...amp;i=108DPFMTin my opinion. You still have to get the antenna adapters, but you get the best transmission quality, and you can run the plug out of the top of the dash to plug it in. You can get a small one to plug into your ipod that doesn't plug into the antenna, but get a good one, or it will sound like poo.

Good Luck

Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Factory Amp