Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:13 PM
Team Owner

I say your fan clutch is bad.

Old 10-16-2009 | 08:31 PM
|
Pro Wrench

yea thats what I'm figuring, I'm going to see if cleaning the crap off the thermo spring helped but if not, it will be the next thing replaced.

Old 10-17-2009 | 05:21 PM
Baja
Old 10-17-2009 | 06:05 PM
|
Pro Wrench

thanks for posting those numbers, i acctually just got back from testing it heres what happened. i went accross town to my dads and sat in the drive letting it idle for about 15-20 minutes it started to climb past 9:00 i waited for the fan to kick in nothing all the way up to the top mark. i reved it to see if speeding up the fan would cool it, it came down a hair. so i headed toward advance, bout 30 sec of 40mph brought her down an eighth of an inch, after a min or min and a half it came down a hair more. stoped at advance. went in for 5 min to see if they could get a fan clutch, no, big suprise, came out started her up fan kicks in bout 30 sec, its back to 9:00 drove her home 9:00 the whole way(another 5 min). thats where it stands. keep in mind it is a beautiful 60 degrees here on the nc coast at the moment. sounds like my radiator is ok don't it, does anyone know about where the fan should kick in on the gauge, just for reference?

Old 10-18-2009 | 06:15 PM
Team Owner

The clutch fan is supposed to kick in when the coolant reaches 200-210*F.
Running down the road the coolant is supposed to be in the mid 190's, my truck runs at 196*F on the expressway, ~200 in city traffic, ~215 when off roading in August with the A/C on.
So your clutch fan should kick in at 200 or so and then shut back off when the coolant is under 200.
It is obvious that your electric fans are not working, if they were your truck would not be overheating even without a working clutch fan. (ask me how I know)

Old 10-18-2009 | 06:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
It is obvious that your electric fans are not working, if they were your truck would not be overheating even without a working clutch fan. (ask me how I know)
Okay, I'll Bite!

How do you know?

Mine kicked in but made no difference with the Tstat closed. Having the heater & fan on high helped though.
________
CLASSACTION SETTLEMENTS

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2009 | 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cranky
Okay, I'll Bite!

How do you know?

Mine kicked in but made no difference with the Tstat closed. Having the heater & fan on high helped though.
My clutch fan was not working for almost a year, drove the truck all summer with outside temps well into the mid to upper 90's (F) with no overheating issues at all, the electric fans would stay on after I shut the truck off when I would get home from work.
Went off roading, sitting in traffic, pulled the utility trailer...never overheated.
The one day I got home from work, put my lunch box inside and came back out to play with my son.
The e-fans were running, I had never heard them but only once or twice before and never thought anything of it, had been driving with the a/c on sitting in the drive thru at the bank on a really hot day and I live only blocks from the bank so never thought anything of it.
Plugged in my OBDII scanner that reads live data, drove for a week and when on the expressway with the a/c on the engine temp was 196*F, in city traffic 215*F.
I also had a rough idle that I could not track down.
Did some research and found out that the clutch fan is supposed to kick in at ~200*F and then shut back off after the coolant temp goes below 200.
Then kick back in when it gets over 200, repeat as needed.
Got home from work one day, turned the a/c off, engine temp was ~210, e-fans were running, opened hood, revved engine, not loud clutch fan kicking in, no extra air moving from the fan.
When the clutch fan is engaged and you rev the engine it should blow your hair back (your head under the hood revving the engine with the throttle cable) and be to loud to talk to a person standing next to you.
Replaced fan clutch, truck now runs at 196 on the expressway, 200 in city traffic.
When I leave work the coolant temp spikes at 205*F then drops quickly once the t-stat opens and then a constant 196 until I jump onto city streets.

So in conclusion the cooling system on a DI is VERY efficient when it is working properly and only one set of fans is actually needed to cool the engine.
The e-fans are actually for the a/c and NOT meant to cool the engine, but they will, even when sitting in traffic with the a/c on on a 95*F August afternoon.

Last edited by Spike555; 10-18-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: puncuation/spelling
Old 10-18-2009 | 06:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
My clutch fan was not working for almost a year, drove the truck all summer with outside temps well into the mid to upper 90's (F) with no overheating issues at all, the electric fans would stay on after I shut the truck off when I would get home from work.
Went off roading, sitting in traffic, pulled the utility trailer...never overheated.
The one day I got home from work, put my lunch box inside and came back out to play with my son.
The e-fans were running, I had never heard them but only once or twice before and never thought anything of it, had been driving with the a/c on sitting in the drive thru at the bank on a really hot day and I live only blocks from the bank so never thought anything of it.
Plugged in my OBDII scanner that reads live data, drove for a week and when on the expressway with the a/c on the engine temp was 196*F, in city traffic 215*F.
I also had a rough idle that I could not track down.
Did some research and found out that the clutch fan is supposed to kick in at ~200*F and then shut back off after the coolant temp goes below 200.
Then kick back in when it gets over 200, repeat as needed.
Got home from work one day, turned the a/c off, engine temp was ~210, e-fans were running, opened hood, revved engine, not loud clutch fan kicking in, no extra air moving from the fan.
When the clutch fan is engaged and you rev the engine it should blow your hair back (your head under the hood revving the engine with the throttle cable) and be to loud to talk to a person standing next to you.
Replaced fan clutch, truck now runs at 196 on the expressway, 200 in city traffic.
When I leave work the coolant temp spikes at 205*F then drops quickly once the t-stat opens and then a constant 196 until I jump onto city streets.

So in conclusion the cooling system on a DI is VERY efficient when it is working properly and only one set of fans is actually needed to cool the engine.
The e-fans are actually for the a/c and NOT meant to cool the engine, but they will, even when sitting in traffic with the a/c on on a 95*F August afternoon.
Built in reduncancy - awesome!
________
Pattaya properties for sale

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2009 | 08:38 PM
|
Pro Wrench

i have checked the electric fans and they work with the a/c on but i guess not from extreme heat. anyway i replaced the clutch and i was like a hurricane under the hood, all is good so far so i think that was the problem. the only thing is i used the heavy duty one and it seems to be engaged, or maybe it seems like it because it spins faster disengaged. does anyone have any experience with this. i thought the heavy duty engaged the same as the regular it just spun faster in both settings.

Old 10-18-2009 | 08:47 PM
|
Pro Wrench

oh yea spike what did you attribute the rough idle to?

Quick Reply: fan clutch