Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence with a '96 D1

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the fence with a '96 D1

So I need a new DD and I'm thinking about a '96 D1. I want something that I can drive comfortably on the road and highway when traveling between states, yet let me get out when camping and explorer. I have a Jeep that is my dedicated rock crawler, but is now my DD and it's getting old. My dilemma is: why does a 4.0l V8 only get 12 mpg, I have to use 91 octane fuel and I can't go to Autozone and buy just about any part I need, and not take out a loan IF they have it. The D1 I'm looking at is a '96 with 90k miles on it with a 3" lift. I'm very interested, but have a hard time getting over the mpg, fuel type and fixing it with readily accessible parts. Convince me!

I was reading/researching last night...great forum!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk88
So I need a new DD and I'm thinking about a '96 D1. I want something that I can drive comfortably on the road and highway when traveling between states, yet let me get out when camping and explorer. I have a Jeep that is my dedicated rock crawler, but is now my DD and it's getting old. My dilemma is: why does a 4.0l V8 only get 12 mpg, I have to use 91 octane fuel and I can't go to Autozone and buy just about any part I need, and not take out a loan IF they have it. The D1 I'm looking at is a '96 with 90k miles on it with a 3" lift. I'm very interested, but have a hard time getting over the mpg, fuel type and fixing it with readily accessible parts. Convince me!

I was reading/researching last night...great forum!
yeah..look at the forum topics. How do I fix this, how much will this repair cost, why is it over heating... Very few topics on mods and fun stuff.

mpg sucks - check
fuel type sucks - check
readily accessible parts - cheap enough but must order online

I would NOT buy a Disco as a DD without a back up vehicle. If it has not had recent head gaskets, it will need them soon. If all of the windows work, one or more will stop eventually, if your the front drive shaft hasn't fallen out yet - it needs to be rebuilt, if it isn't overheating now - it will be.

These are cool trucks but not great if you need to depend on it.

I recommend it as a second car and only if you personally are able to wrench on it.

I am not going to convince you to buy one. Friends don't let friends buy Land Rovers. It's a sick cult.