Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting another Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Finally getting another Disco

After my '99 Disco 1 was totalled out by a tractor trailer, and after weeks of searching, I have come across a 2000 Disco 2 with 180kmi, which I'm going to get this weekend. Sorry, no pics as it was pouring rain this morning. Anyhow, It's a project. Here's the story as I know it. It was run hot. It was towed to a shop (which IMHO looks questionable) and the head gaskets were replaced. Also the heads were sent out to be checked and were found to be ok. The mechanic said that water is still getting into the oil and it needs a new engine. I looked at it and found the top end of the engine is removed and scattered around his shop and inside the Disco. The mechanic said he took it apart again to see if it was something he did that was causing it to leak, but hasn't put it back together. He told me that once the coolant gets to the intake, it leaks into the oil. So I'm wondering if it's possible that the intake is warped or cracked? I'm thinking before I get too involved that I'll send the intake out to be magnafluxed and maybe get that block tester (I saw the video linked on here in another thread) Other than that, it's in great shape. No rust, no dents, no sagging headliner. The owner said that he has replaced the brakes, transmission computer, and front driveshaft. It's a basic model... no air bag suspension, no SAI pump, no ACE (I don't even know if this year came with that stuff). Worse case scenario is I need an engine and I know where I can get a complete motor with 120kmi and 30 day warranty for $1,000 (not installed). But I'm hoping for either a bad intake or bad head gasket job.

Eric

Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No SAI is a good thing, it's one less thing to fail, and one less thing in the way when you're working on things. I have rear coils and it is nice because it is, again, another thing you don't have to worry about failing.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are looking at paying for that DII? If you do end up throwing that "new" engine in, it's probably a good idea to have every seal replaced so you start fresh, and don't have to pull it apart 2K miles after you put it in (I'm sure you've already thought of that though)

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Winching

I'm getting it for $1000. I think it's a good deal. I wish it was together so i could hear it run. I know I'm taking a chance but it doesn't look like it was abused. Maybe it's a good thing that it's torn apart.... maybe I can see what's wrong (?) and I can put it back together with new gaskets and I'll definitely change the plugs/wires now that it's apart!. If I do have to get the other engine then, yes, it will be torn down, new gaskets, seals, etc. I only want to do this once!

Eric

Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
TReK

$1000 seems like a great deal for a solid body, good interior, driveline, etc. Especially if you are able to do some/most/all of the work yourself, or find somebody that's not going to take a limb from you in order to do it Don't forget to pull the front drive shaft off and get it rebuilt while the engine is getting sorted...

Glad you are looking to replace the Rover you lost (R.I.P.) you lost, good luck with the new project, keep us posted.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

That seems like a good deal either way. If you decided against keeping it you could get your money back in a few parts on eBay if you took your time.
I sold a 2004 Discovery SE in Gun Metal gray with no engine TC, or Trans for $3250 on eBay. And that was with some markup! So there is always someone out there looking for a project! Still making my money back on the engine parts as of today. And have kept a few for my 2003.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That would be a great deal if it were a DI. LOL!!

great find, glad you are ok and that you're back into the LR game.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Winching

I knew I would find another Rover if I was patient. But for awhile I was tempted to get a Suburban or an Expedition. I just prefer the looks and handling (and safety!) of the Land Rovers. I know it will be a project, but I learned alot being a Disco 1 owner so I'm ready for the challenge. I just hope the 3 amigos don't greet me when I get it running!

Eric

Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by SDinDS
I just hope the 3 amigos don't greet me when I get it running!
Oh they'll come to visit when you're least expecting....they always do

Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Winching
Talking Got it!!!

Just rolled off the flatbed. All the parts are in a box in the back and front floor. Crappy cell phone pics....

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Finally getting another Disco-img_0388.jpg   Finally getting another Disco-img_0389.jpg   Finally getting another Disco-img_0387.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Winching

Looks like I found a crack on the intake. This is on the passenger side. You can see it (kind of, sorry for the bad pic) extending from the bolt hole. On the head at this part is permatex (and only at this part) Hoping this is the problem.....

Also, push rods on this side are somewhat clean and on the driver's side they are a bit sludged up. I'm thinking I should replace the push rods since everything is already apart(?)

The mechanic left the oil drain plug out. I didn't think that was a good idea to leave this engine "dry" with all the humidity. Good way to start rusting things out. I found the plug and put 2 gallons of oil in and covered up the top of the block.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Finally getting another Disco-crack.jpg  

Quick Reply: Finally getting another Disco