Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First adventure with discovery is cut short..

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First adventure with discovery is cut short..

Took a 200 mile drive to a national forest in Louisiana. Man was it beautiful!

But tge beauty was only enjoyed for a second. I found a trail
and took it to see where it went. It was a trail so fly a coralla could
made it. It was a dead end so I turn back, I hear hissing and so I decide I'll make it to the road before changing the flat.

got to the road and see oil all over drivers wheel. Great what's this gonna be, Axle seal? Power steering nope. turns out it was my transmission line. LEAKING at tge point it bridges between the the two metal
hard lines.

GREAT! two guys pull up
and offer to take me to a Local gas station to get some ATF and I go, hopping I would find something there to fix this. Well
it was a long drive out of the forest and while
diving around the guys were popping pills
and who knows what. The
gas station didn't have much, the guys thought electrical
tape would work. I knew it wouldn't, but as I forgot my wallet they were paying..

Get back and of course the tape doesn't work. I try to get as far as I can in the direction of an auto store. Knowing I wouldn't make it and needed to walk
the rest of the way, tge closer tge better. I know I shouldn't have diven it like this, bit you guys have no idea how far we were from a city. When we inally break down it's still 20mike walk to an auto store. I get out grab my bag and everything I need to make it over night. There was no way I could make it there by sunset. He'll I coulnt make it out of the woods by sunset. As I'm walking a guy comes up driving. I wave him down and he just waves back. And that was the only car tat passed us on the road. As were walking we find an old fellow picking berries. He offers to take us into town.

I get to orilys and of corse they didn't have the hose for my truck. I wouldn't expect them to. I ask if they have any 1" and he said only 3/4". I go into th back and find 1" but it's radiator hose. All the time
the guys telling me what I'm trying to do won't work. The pressure is just too much. And that ATF will eat through a radiator hose.
I told him I didn't care and I had to try it. Bought two clamps and 4qts of ATF.

Well 100miles and the way back home
and it's holding up great. I was supposed to stay till
Tuesday but I'd rather not chance it.

I hate when people try to tell me
I can't do something.

Now. Wat should i do when I get back. Buy both hoses and hardlines from British atlantic or see if napa can replace the hose..

Sorry for typos I'm on an iPhone

Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  154.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  145.7 KB

Last edited by Spencerfitch; 05-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The spell check on the iphone works great except it doesnt, whenever I type my sons name (Gabe) it auto corrects me and enters "gave" instead.

Once you get home remove your tans cooler lines and take them to a hydraulic hose shop, that can make you hoses alot cheaper than buying them at a Rover supply.

EDIT:rubber is rubber, I wouldn't fly into outer space with a radiator hose in place of a trans cooler line but I would drive 1,000 miles.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for understanding about the typos. Pain in the butt.

Alright will do.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Talk about bad luck! Good job on the makeshift repair though! Hope you make it the rest of the way home without incident. Lol, I used to work for O'Reillys (7 years too long) and those guys were probably just trained to cover their own a$$es. Had they offered you the radiator hose, and it ruined your transmission, they would have been liable. Still, you need to know the difference between a permanent repair and something temporary, just to get you home.

Hope your next trip goes much better!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, crazy.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Took a 200 mile drive to a national forest in Louisiana. Man was it beautiful!

But tge beauty was only enjoyed for a second. I found a trail
and took it to see where it went. It was a trail so fly a coralla could
made it. It was a dead end so I turn back, I hear hissing and so I decide I'll make it to the road before changing the flat.

got to the road and see oil all over drivers wheel. Great what's this gonna be, Axle seal? Power steering nope. turns out it was my transmission line. LEAKING at tge point it bridges between the the two metal
hard lines.

GREAT! two guys pull up
and offer to take me to a Local gas station to get some ATF and I go, hopping I would find something there to fix this. Well
it was a long drive out of the forest and while
diving around the guys were popping pills
and who knows what. The
gas station didn't have much, the guys thought electrical
tape would work. I knew it wouldn't, but as I forgot my wallet they were paying..

Get back and of course the tape doesn't work. I try to get as far as I can in the direction of an auto store. Knowing I wouldn't make it and needed to walk
the rest of the way, tge closer tge better. I know I shouldn't have diven it like this, bit you guys have no idea how far we were from a city. When we inally break down it's still 20mike walk to an auto store. I get out grab my bag and everything I need to make it over night. There was no way I could make it there by sunset. He'll I coulnt make it out of the woods by sunset. As I'm walking a guy comes up driving. I wave him down and he just waves back. And that was the only car tat passed us on the road. As were walking we find an old fellow picking berries. He offers to take us into town.

I get to orilys and of corse they didn't have the hose for my truck. I wouldn't expect them to. I ask if they have any 1" and he said only 3/4". I go into th back and find 1" but it's radiator hose. All the time
the guys telling me what I'm trying to do won't work. The pressure is just too much. And that ATF will eat through a radiator hose.
I told him I didn't care and I had to try it. Bought two clamps and 4qts of ATF.

Well 100miles and the way back home
and it's holding up great. I was supposed to stay till
Tuesday but I'd rather not chance it.

I hate when people try to tell me
I can't do something.

Now. Wat should i do when I get back. Buy both hoses and hardlines from British atlantic or see if napa can replace the hose..

Sorry for typos I'm on an iPhone
Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  154.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  145.7 KB

Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

LOVE those trail repairs.

I always carry a roll of Duct tape with me in a zip-loc bag so as not to get sticky stuff all over the interior of my truck.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
LOVE those trail repairs.

I always carry a roll of Duct tape with me in a zip-loc bag so as not to get sticky stuff all over the interior of my truck.
In a pinch the duct tape will make a nifty serpentine belt too.

For me it always seems like I need to make the repairs right after I removed the repair bag out of the truck to haul something. Great work on getting it back home, I am glad to hear it was not vandalized while you were off getting the parts. Of course the reason they were the hose would not work was because it is not rated for petroleum based fluids, and that does not matter if it can limp you home.

A hydraulic hose store will make what you need and much less money and time waiting for the mail man.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

X2 on removing the repair bag or extra parts I carry for something else, and then needing it.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Lesson - auto parts guys are not mechanics, and frequently talk out of their asses

Good job getting home. I always feel a sense of achievement after making a repair on the road.

Quick Reply: First adventure with discovery is cut short..