Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First breakdown...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First breakdown...

Was on my way home from a family get together this afternoon and had my first breakdown. I was exiting the highway via an exit ramp with a small incline, got half way to the light, stopped, went to press on the gas and the car just shut off. We were sitting there right in the middle of the ramp. When it was clear I placed in neutral and tried to back down a bit onto the side of the road. We made it, but the stupid breaks wouldn't work and I had to use the e-brake to stop. I couldn't get it started again.

I had the car towed to the place where I purchased it. They'll take a look tomorrow.

Any idea what could be wrong? There seemed to be a lot of heat coming from the center council area before it shut off.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You still had brakes, just not power brakes, had to pushed hard enough and pumped them they would have worked.

Could be a bad crank sensor, bad fuel pump, those are my 2 guess's.

Did you try and start it after it was dropped off?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
You still had brakes, just not power brakes, had to pushed hard enough and pumped them they would have worked.

Could be a bad crank sensor, bad fuel pump, those are my 2 guess's.

Did you try and start it after it was dropped off?
Ah gotcha on the brakes.

I actually did get it started after 30mins before the flatbed arrived. It was very brief and just enough to get over more so we wouldn't get hit. I didn't try it again after that. I was worried that I'd make the situation worse.

Fingers crossed it isn't a major issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am betting on a bad crank sensor, its a $65 DIY repair.
The crank sensor is what tells the spark plugs to spark, when it goes bad it will act up when hot, let it cool and the truck will fire right back up.
Once it gets hot again the engine stalls.
Cool, start, hot, stall.
Until it wont start anymore.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

agreed. bad CPS

Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That was the one issue I had in my first month of ownership.
Sounds JUST like crank position sensor. Goo call having it towed cause it would start/die/start/die not matter how many times you would have tried.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. Initial report is that is is a crank sensor. Waiting to hear back from them today. I really need to learn how to fix this stuff. It scares the crap out of me though lol.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the CPS is an easy job to do yourself. download the rave manual. if you don't learn how to work on your truck you will go broke quick.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
the CPS is an easy job to do yourself. download the rave manual. if you don't learn how to work on your truck you will go broke quick.
I'm quickly learning this. I've got the RAVE, any idea where I can find the section on this? i.e. Crank Sensnors

The only good thing I have going right now is that the place I purchased the Discovery is still doing work for free. This won't last much longer though.

I just spoke to them and they said they don't see a point in swapping out the crank sensor, the Disco is starting fine Looks like I may have to do this on my own.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no special section in RAVE about it, its a simple swap. 2 bolts on the cover and 2 nuts on the sensor, one plug and you're done. The hard part is getting under the truck and reaching it. You may have to remove the Y pipe to get access, which means unplugging the O2 sensors and those are a major PITA, besides unplugging the crank position sensor is just as much of a PITFA.

Quick Reply: First breakdown...