Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post is a noisy one. Wheel Bearing, Drive Shaft who knows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post is a noisy one. Wheel Bearing, Drive Shaft who knows?

Hello all,

I'm new here but not really new to troubled rovers.

I'm best known around Columbus, Ohio as the guy who can replace wires on a discovery II without pulling the upper intake and the guy who fixed the hell P0172 code in 30 mins after four die hard rover guys gave up.

But, I by fair don't know it all I'm an engine guy, I now very little about body work and know even less about rover front ends.

Mind you I do know how to replace worn parts, and diagnose some problems but before I start ripping things back apart I thought I might ask if anyone has seen this one before.

The Truck is a 99 Disco II 125k miles non ACE.

The front rotors are new, the pads are new, the calipers are new.

The Tires have been rotated to see if the noise moves, it did not.

The Bearing did not have any play.

Holding the coil as I turn the wheel did uncover any vibration in the coil.

I have no service history on the drive shafts.

Steve, Chevy and Martin are all three on.

The noise starts after the truck has been driving for a few and seems to happen at low speeds under 10.

If the noise starts and I accelerate the noise stops.

The noise happens regardless of using the brakes or coasting to a stop.

I did take a video of the noise in question, sounds a but like a flat tire.

Near the end of the video you will hear me accelerate and the noise go away

So what do you guys things?

Drive Shaft? Wheel Bearings? Act of God?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9P...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

does it correspond with tire rotation....hard to tell from video. but kind of sounded like it. driveshaft (centering ball) I would look at first.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

and welcome

Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by dusty1
does it correspond with tire rotation....hard to tell from video. but kind of sounded like it. driveshaft (centering ball) I would look at first.
The Noise Started before the tire rotation. I started with that as I have had that kind of a sound come from a broken belt inside a tire.

When I had the front tires off I found the passengers side caliber was shot and the rotor was warped so I did a full brake job in the front. The day the noise started Steve, Chevy and Martin are all popped on as soon as the noise started giving me the ever so unhelpful P1590 code.

I think I'm going to give the front drive shaft a good looking at as I don't think it's ever been rebuild, I'm tempted to remove it and do a very soft drive to see if the noise goes away.

I really don't like to drive full time 4x4 Discovery's without that front shaft as I have seen first hand a real axle get trashed that way. I guess a low speed light duty run wont kill it.

I'll update after I find more.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Overlanding

sounds like your u-joints? i had an issue like that, for fun crawl under her, and shake the drivelines as hard as you can, if they move around, the u-joints will need replaced, not an over difficult thing to do yourself as long as you have a press.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It's really hard to tell from the sound on the vid but seems to increase and decrease. Defo drive train I guess somewhere. If you have axle stands or access to a vehicle lift put it up and with the engine running rotate the wheels in gear and check the noise out using a mechanics stethoscope whilst it's running. Usually the stetho reveals all. (trust me I'm a doctor )

A rough guess would be the front drive shaft U/J's or cardan joint or the centre bearing. Check it out carefully and soon as they can break up and destroy the tranny casing.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree it's in the drivetrain. Pull the front shaft and take it for a spin. You'll be fine, I drove mine for about a month with the front shaft removed. The axles are stronger than think.

Just don't be tempted to Tokyo drift around corners

Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by coors
I agree it's in the drivetrain. Pull the front shaft and take it for a spin. You'll be fine, I drove mine for about a month with the front shaft removed. The axles are stronger than think.

Just don't be tempted to Tokyo drift around corners
If your going to do this remember to lock in your differential otherwise she wont go anywhere lol learned this the hard way

Old 12-26-2014, 07:56 AM
4wd Low

Hello all,

I finely got around to taking the truck apart and this is what I found.

The Driveshaft has only one u joint with a nipple so it's not been built oddly non of the bolts holding the shaft in had lock nuts and non where Metric all 9/16.

7 out of 8 has to be removed with a damaged nut remover but all made it off.

Now for the new problem...

After removing the shaft I was set to pull the truck around front and I noticed the noise was back as soon I put it in drive.

I jacked it back up and took this video

Good news is.

I now know it's not the

The Engine (Only happens in drive)

The Front Driveshaft

The Rear Driveshaft

The Front Axle

The Rear Axle

The Wheel Barrings

The Brakes

The Bad News is it could be.

The Transmission.

The torque converter

The Transfer case

------------------------------------------------------------------

The strange this is I can't feel this noise, if you hold any of the above parts wile this noise is taking place you don't feel anything. the noise does not seem to show up with a stethoscope although I did hear more noise around the Transfer Case than anything else.

I need to work on another truck for the next couple of days so this one is on the back burner if anyone has any ideas I can get to checking Sunday or Monday...

Thanks all.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

man it really is hard to tell what to listen for in the video. is it that clanky sound? like something broken in there? flywheel or something like that. mostly guessing but it sounded kind of clanky......correct?

Quick Reply: First Post is a noisy one. Wheel Bearing, Drive Shaft who knows?