Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know

Hey guys, as some of you may have seen I bought a 99 Disco II a few months back with a bad engine. I kind of got discouraged at first and was going to get rid of it because I really just have no idea how to work on these things. Anyway fast forward to today, the truck has really grown on me and the new engine is in and running great (save for it's typical oil leaks... major idiot mistake I made not changing all the seals while it was out).

I just grabbed some 18" hurricane wheels for it and some newer tires and did a fair amount of service listed below. Is there anything I should do that I missed or should know about? I read a bunch on here and I feel like I hit most of it. The only thing I read that I think I should do is replace the front driveshaft and get a TR5 Thermo (kind of sucks I already bought a stock replacement and put it in... do I really need the TR5 one?).

Also is there really any reason to seafoam everything and clean the TB out and such? I already put thousands into this thing since I got it and don't want to go crazy if there is no reason to. I did clean the heads out before I put everything in, but never pulled the throttle body off to clean there. But that being said I do want to take care of it and have a reliable daily driver.

I was also going to get the obd2 tuner recommended to monitor the coolant temp and such. Is that really a good idea? Or is it a waste of money because I'm starting to run out haha.

TIA

What I've done so far:

-Spark Plugs
-Synthetic Blend oil change
-Flushed Brake Fluid
-Flushed PS fluid
-Flushed Coolant and replaced with Prestone
-Trans Service, filter and 5 qts of fluid
-Flushed front and rear diff's
-Flushed Transfer case
-Installed new Thermo for good measure
-All new rotors and pads
-Greased driveshafts
-Replaced rear door subs
-Replaced front and rear pinion seals
-New Wipers (at least attempting this soon since it's impossible to find wipers for these things)

Last edited by 1999rover; 01-28-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

fo sho get the ultra or scan gauge.....an upgrade from stupid 150-250 midpoint gauge that come with these is a must. that stupid gauge is a waste of instrument panel. i have a 180 stat you can have, for shipping. I had it on for 2 months and went another route. pm me if interested.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-28-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Once you see real time temperature numbers with the ultragauge or other OBDII reader you will know why you want the 180 stat. Land Rover OEM for TD5 is best.

No need for expensive synthetic blend oil either, Rotella 15w40 will serve you fine. As a matter of fact I wouldn't put anything less than a 15w in a LR motor.

As you know the stock front drive shaft will bite you in the ***... get it done and enjoy!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the front prop shaft doesn't have 3+ grease fittings, it needs to be replaced with one that does. Glad you decided to keep it!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok I'll get a 180 deg thermo in there. Also once this oil has run its course ill switch to a 15-40 and maybe some of these leaks will stop haha. Going to check out the drive shaft this weekend and get that fixed if it's stock. Apparently the original owner (it was a one owner truck) replaced the air suspension too with factory land rover parts so that's new too. Woo!

Thing doesn't have any lights on either. I'm nervous because from what I was told this truck was maintained well since new at one shop, which could account for why it's in great shape. So I'm just waiting for something to go wrong because it seems like I got a good one.

I'm not currently driving the rover since I've been working on it (did put probably close to 1000 miles on it though since I got her). Going to just sell my F-150 since I couldn't seem to sell this guy. Once I get it all up to par I'll start driving it to make sure it's solid. Although someone may want my 150 already so I might end up putting the disco to work sooner than later haha.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh and one other thing. I only have one factory key for this truck. Is that bad? haha How can I get another key that's programmed and will work with the theft system? You know... justttttt in case I lose this one or it breaks.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

standard copy will work. just stick it in the door and turn it, alarm will go off.
I get em made at lowes. (axxess+ 38 is the one that works best)

Last edited by dusty1; 01-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh and more! What kind of fuel do you guys run? I run shell but should I run 87 or do I have to urn 93?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The engine computer is set up for 92 octane.

It will retard the timing if you use 87. This will result in lower mpg, rougher idle, lower power.

Personally I've found Chevron Supreme to work best but I have a 4.6l.

Oddly even the Chevron Supreme varies in quality between different Chevron stations. Sometimes it seems like you get regular even when you pay for supreme, so I've stopped going to some stations because of that.

And yes, I can tell the difference.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Climb a freaking mountain with that thing.

Don't every let your kids drive it. They tend to bump into things and not replace the gas that they use.

Buy a good tool set and a good Scan tool like Delphi DS150 that can read all the systems

Don't and I repeat Do not rear end a police car with it, it just pisses them off and the front bumper and grill from the factory on the Discovery Suck.

Quick Reply: First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know