Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuel, no everyone is going to get pissed off at me when I say this, but I have no issue with 87, but I do put a tank of 93 in it once a month.

Now most people will say I am a dumb ***, and I am.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
The engine computer is set up for 92 octane.

It will retard the timing if you use 87. This will result in lower mpg, rougher idle, lower power.

Personally I've found Chevron Supreme to work best but I have a 4.6l.

Oddly even the Chevron Supreme varies in quality between different Chevron stations. Sometimes it seems like you get regular even when you pay for supreme, so I've stopped going to some stations because of that.

And yes, I can tell the difference.
Ok looks like she'll get 93 shell then. That should help clean the valves and everything out too.

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
Climb a freaking mountain with that thing.

Don't every let your kids drive it. They tend to bump into things and not replace the gas that they use.

Buy a good tool set and a good Scan tool like Delphi DS150 that can read all the systems

Don't and I repeat Do not rear end a police car with it, it just pisses them off and the front bumper and grill from the factory on the Discovery Suck.
Yup found that out quick when I caught the bottom lip of the bumper on my trailer when I first got it. CRACK.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
Fuel, no everyone is going to get pissed off at me when I say this, but I have no issue with 87, but I do put a tank of 93 in it once a month.

Now most people will say I am a dumb ***, and I am.
I won't lie. I started out running 93 for a few hundred miles, realized how horrible the fuel mileage was and decided what the hell, reset the computer and got 87. Thing runs fine, I noticed no difference. But I don't need any issues so if it's supposed to run premium I'll probably just run the premium.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dusty1
standard copy will work. just stick it in the door and turn it, alarm will go off.
I get em made at lowes. (axxess+ 38 is the one that works best)
Only issue is what if I lose the factory key? Then I have no circuit board to disarm the alarm system correct? Or does this not have any type of chip in the key to fire it up?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

not that kind of chip. it is just a remote. you can mechanically disable the alarm with just the piece of metal by turning it in the keyhole. I rarely, use my remote. I just use a copy. turn in door one way= locks all doors and sets alarm. turn other way= exact opposite

Last edited by dusty1; 01-28-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dusty1
not that kind of chip. it is just a remote. you can mechanically disable the alarm with just the piece of metal by turning it in the keyhole. I rarely, use my remote. I just use a copy. turn in door one way= locks all doors and sets alarm. turn other way= exact opposite
Awesome! Off to Wal-Mart! Better than my stupid PATS system in my F-150. God I do miss older vehicles. $200 to replace the keys in my old Taurus when I lost them.

Actually IIIII didn't lose them. Some girl did and had some reason why her losing my keys was my fault for only have one key... so I should pay for it. $200 plus towing the car to the dealership, on top of waiting 2-3 hours while they worked on the car. Needless to say that was the last time I talked to her lol.

Last edited by 1999rover; 01-28-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Well I was informed that if you have one key "like me" with broke remote "like me" it is wise to get another one. Otherwise using the key to physically unlock the door will cause the computer to flag it and lock out.... Just what I was told.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

holy moly, that would suck. both my discos run junk copies, fine. i got a couple made that were not quite right. I went ghetto with that little dremel tool and now they work just fine.
was that informer selling new remote keys?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, there's something to be said for sticking it out. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure it's something. Anyhoot, get that front prop shaft on there, if nothing else it'll give you a bit of peace of mind. Did the Lucky8 on mine, and I'm no wrenching guru, but I got it done in a couple of hours, after I hit all the bolts with PB blaster the night before and then liquid wrench right before hitting the bolts. Just getting to some of the bolts was the toughest part, but with the front wheels up you get a little play in the shaft that'll help. I'm rolling with one old-style key, need to get a back-up too, thanks for reminding me. Yeah, it's just old-style stick the key in and turn it once to unlock drivers door and turn off alarm, one more cycle to open the other doors and turn it to the rear to lock and set alarm. easy peazy.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Well my key fob doesn't unlock my doors so it may be broken. It lights up but does nothing. Any thoughts?

Also from what ive read, my 99 does not have lockers. Is this true? I read something about being able to lock the transfer case from under the truck?

I also dont even know what trim level I have. I think my truck has every option available short of the handling package, but i read not many US trucks got this option. Is there a list somewhere with all available options or some way to know what my truck even is?

Quick Reply: First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know