Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Lockers, no. Center differential lock capabilities, yes. That will be the nipple on the top passenger hand side of your transfer case. Turn it to the right and you will get a symbol on your dash and you will also provide 50% power to both the front and rear axles. Tire to tire on the same Axle lockers sadly we have to buy aftermarket. You can either buy something to bring that nipple into the cabin with you or you can switch it from underneath or you can go ghetto fab and build something to come up through your console .

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Lockers, no. Center differential lock capabilities, yes. That will be the nipple on the top passenger hand side of your transfer case. Turn it to the right and you will get a symbol on your dash and you will also provide 50% power to both the front and rear axles. Tire to tire on the same Axle lockers sadly we have to buy aftermarket. You can either buy something to bring that nipple into the cabin with you or you can switch it from underneath or you can go ghetto fab and build something to come up through your console .
So what is all this I am reading of D2 owners swapping in D1 tcases, if the D2 already has a "CDL" tcase. Or am I thinking of something else?

Also are the front and rear axles at least a limited slip or are they completely open?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Lex0331
Well I was informed that if you have one key "like me" with broke remote "like me" it is wise to get another one. Otherwise using the key to physically unlock the door will cause the computer to flag it and lock out.... Just what I was told.
I only have one key and I think my remote is broken since I can't unlock the doors or anything, just get a blinking red light on the remote when I press a button. I've been using my key to lock and unlock my truck physically in the door for a couple months. I haven't had an issue.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to spend very much on an Ultragauge. The ELM 324 works with an app on a smartphone. I use one on my android with the "Torque" app. Have about 30 bucks in the elm and Torque app. (Already had the phone). It's bluetooth connected to the Smartphone. Kicks off every once in awhile but overall pretty good for the price. It does many functions like showing and clearing codes. OBD functions , Map,etc It's not an ultragauge but it works great for me . Plus no wires.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

key issue, Ok on ebay there is a company call midwest keyless, the phone is 815/675-0404. they will hook you up with a remote key for 169.00, but that is just the key. Call them and talk to tech support, they can hook you up with a automotive locksmith in your area who can program the remote and cut the key.

with that said the hawkeye, or blackbox solutions scanners can also program keys, and lastly so can the dealer.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
Fuel, no everyone is going to get pissed off at me when I say this, but I have no issue with 87, but I do put a tank of 93 in it once a month.

Now most people will say I am a dumb ***, and I am.
I'm a dumb *** too. Been running 87 since I bought it (end of 2012). Never had a ping or low power, my temps are awesome, and my oil drains pretty clean when I change it. The computer compensates just fine. It's not a lot of savings, but as long as I'm not hurting it, I'm sticking to my plan (and sticking it to the MAN). I also put 50k miles on my 1999 Jaguar XJR SuperCharged with only 87 octane. Never suffered any performance or other issues there either. Personally, I think it's hype by the fuel Gods. But, of course, just my opinion.

I normally go against the grain when I can... Makes my wife think I'm a rebel, and I get rewarded... hehe

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999rover
So what is all this I am reading of D2 owners swapping in D1 tcases, if the D2 already has a "CDL" tcase. Or am I thinking of something else?

Also are the front and rear axles at least a limited slip or are they completely open?
d1 shifter instal brings the nipple to the shifter, like it should be. it is just an option for that.
sadly, they are open. but still a quite capable set up with cdl and traction control

Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
key issue, Ok on ebay there is a company call midwest keyless, the phone is 815/675-0404. they will hook you up with a remote key for 169.00, but that is just the key. Call them and talk to tech support, they can hook you up with a automotive locksmith in your area who can program the remote and cut the key.

with that said the hawkeye, or blackbox solutions scanners can also program keys, and lastly so can the dealer.
Close to $169 for one key when I'm making a copy of one I already own? Dang and I thought Ford making me two keys from scratch for 200 was a rip off. Guess I'll run with one key, I'd rather keep the truck maintained than worry about a what if. Thanks for the link though much appreciated!

Originally Posted by dusty1
d1 shifter instal brings the nipple to the shifter, like it should be. it is just an option for that.
sadly, they are open. but still a quite capable set up with cdl and traction control
That's surprising; with a truck like this I would have at least hoped for LSD's. Oh well, she seems to do pretty well anyway.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Does the 99 have traction control? That and a locking CDL seems to be a good combination.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Does the 99 have traction control? That and a locking CDL seems to be a good combination.
I get a "TC" light when my tires slip. Does that mean it has it? It does make some noise when the TC light comes on. But it doesn't seem to limit wheel spin.

Quick Reply: First Time Land Rover Owner... What should I know