Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Brake Light, Rattle From Down Under, Ect

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Brake Light, Rattle From Down Under, Ect

I have a few more questions. When I got my new tires on I asked about the squeaky brakes. The mechanic looked at them and said they appeared to be brand new and just needed to be broke in. Now after almost 2 months the squeaking noise is getting worse. The parking brake light on the dash comes on and off sporadically and were are unsure of what to do next.

Could something be wrong with the moving brake parts themselves, or should I just order new brake pads and rotors? I have no idea which brand of pads are on there as I was not told. Since I am only 16, going to be 17 could someone tell me a good budget pads and rotors to order that will work well with the discovery and last awhile and NOT squeak. Its actually kind of embarrassing. I dont need the top of the line pads, just some standard pads and rotors.

The brakes I have now seem to operate just find and only squeal when you gently press the brakes, if you give it a firm stop there is no squeal at all. I am unsure of what to do.

Next I did get that gasket fixed and it fixed the noisy exhaust issue however there is still a rattle comming from down under when I hit bumps, or uneven surfaces. If it is not the exhaust rattling what else is a common thing that could cause noise.

My SRS light comes on about 30% of the time when driving the vehical, and other times not at all. It never comes on when in the middle of driving though, its always at start up, its either on or it stays off. Should I spray compressed air somewhere? on the seat belt sensors?

Thanks in advance, I really am learning as much as I can about this car. Especially with your guy's help. Hope to hear a reply soon.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well depending on how much you drive it can take awhile for the brake pads to "seat" themselves.
You can pull each wheel off the truck and rough up the rotors with some sand paper, do this to both sides of the rotor on all four wheels.

As for the brake light on the dash, check your brake fluid level, when it gets low it will set off the warning light.

For the rattle crawl under the truck and grab the exhaust and wiggle it and see if it is loose anywhere and if so what it is hitting, also check your shock mounts and make sure that the shocks are tight.

For SRS light, buckle and unbuckle the passenger seatbelt a dozen times or so, if that does not help then where the seatbelt winds into unplug them and clean the plugs with electrical contact cleaner.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Pads will seat in in usually 50 miles of city driving. You have a noisey set of cheap pads that will probably not quit squeaking. You need to do something about this ASAP before your 3 Amigos, then not only will you have to repair the brakes, you'll need to pay the usual $100 to read and shut off the codes.
You have 2 choices, remove the old pads and put lots of sound deadening material on the backing plate and hope this stops the squeaks or replace them with some good brake pads.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling

What do you recommend for good affordable pads?

Spike it is not the exhaust or muffler rattling, I have grabbed and shook it and there is no movement.

I'll try the thing with the seat belt tommorow. Should the SRS light go off with the vehical running when I do the seat belt thing or will I have to do it and then turn on the vehical??

Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a heat shield on top of your cat (I believe) that is soldered on and when the solder cracks you get a rattling noise.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

Do all of your SRS work, then start the truck and see if the light is out.

If you take your truck to a muffler shop and tell tham that you have a rattle under the truck they will do a free inspection, then you can fix it yourself.
Somethings you just cant find when laying on your back, when it is on a lift it is much easier to find phantom rattles.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll take it to the Midas a half hour away and have them look. However everytime I mention the word its a Land Rover its like they run and hide.
I have the only one in town but its not like I have the only one in the world, they have to have came across one before.

And as for brakes?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

As for the brakes just buy the best that you can afford.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay but I want good pads and rotors that I know work with the Discovery and wont have the squealing, brake light flashing issue.

Also just tonight the strangest thing I have ever seen happened. I was listening to my radio on a sirius tape adapter and the station was playing just fine and clear but then I decided I wanted to listen to one of my Cds when I switched to cd the whole right side of the cars speakers had this high pitch beeeeeeeep-y squeal type noise like that of a mosquito, but the song was playing perfectly out the right side.

Even wiereder is the harder I pressed on the gas peddle the different tone of the sound Im getting. It doesnt do it any other time, not on AM/FM or Tape, Only CD this has never happened until just tonight. I tried unplugging the cd player and plugging it back in by the wire located under the passenger seat, but got the same result. I have searched the web and couldnt find anything about this sort of thing. Could someone chime in maybe as It just doesnt make sense to me.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Anything?

Quick Reply: Flashing Brake Light, Rattle From Down Under, Ect