Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing SES Light and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing SES Light and Vibration

Hi;

I have a 2002 Discovery with 85,000 miles on the clock. I was in Chicago two days ago and noticed when I put the disco in reverse or drive and have my foot on the brake I'd get a vibration from the engine. Im not sure if even the word "vibration" gives it justice. It sounds similar to the truck is struggling for power. It was fine when driving. I drove 250 miles south to go home, no problem.

Called my local Land Rover dealer before leaving Chicago and they said it may be a motor mount(?).

Today I drove it and it was doing the same thing when sat at lights or stopped in traffic. Then on the way home with my family it got really bad and the SES light started to flash and the truck struggled with power and the whole engine seems like its shaking.

The RPMs dont seem to waiver and the engine doesnt register that its over heating (although the last few days it's been over 100 degrees in my area).

Please help, any ideas? My nearest dealer is over an hour from me and I dont know if I can make it that far. I have a local guy that has worked on my other cars before but not sure he is capable of a disco.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

run by your local auto parts store and have them read the codes. Sounds like a mis-fire possibly.

Have you done any tune work to it?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Other then to go to a local auto parts store to get the codes read, do not drive it AT ALL.
Once you get the 4 digit fault code numbers get back to us with them.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Hi Guys. Thanks for the reponses. I called my LR dealer who want me to take it to them but its over an hour away. They said to drive it on side roads and not the interstate through St. Louis.

My local guy said I could take it to him Monday to get the codes read. LR St. Louis said there is no point in doing that cause they wouldnt work off someone elses codes. Which is a fair point I suppose. Plus, I have no way of getting it to St. Louis other than attempting the drive.

If I still got the codes and posted them on here could you maybe at least get a better idea of the problem? LR said it could be a 100 things ranging from minor to major. To be honest, I cant afford any major problems right now as I also have an 02 Freelander and it's in need of some work too. I must be a glutton for punishment!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Thats why I told you to go get the codes read and get back to us. You could have done it by now.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Sorry Mike. I should have clarified. My local mechanic cant read the codes as he closed his shop early today due to the excessive heat. I will get the codes Monday as I dont feel comfortable driving the car out of town to shop to get the codes read. The guy in town is an 1/8 of a mile from me.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation ..having same issues

My 2004 discovery was going thru the same symptoms as described above. It was basically trembling while idle at stop lights and when reaching speed it was fine but around 1500-2500 rpm accelerating from around 20mph to 30-35mph it felt like it was struggling.. got the codes and they were p0300 p0305 and p1316..I have about 46k miles, bone stock.

have been using the search function on the multiple rover forums...and narrowed my options to getting new wires and plugs..actually magnecors and bosch plugs are on the way..

while waiting I thought I'd clean the MAF and throttle body...throttle body was dirty as a ****..now the car idles smooth as ever but still throws p0305 code..anyone think the wires will cure this? also could this be a MAF issue?..mainly bc i cleaned the MAF and throttle body and it affected the other codes... I think I read somewhere that a faulty MAF will throw odd codes ie misfire codes...any input is appreciated

Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rickm
Sorry Mike. I should have clarified. My local mechanic cant read the codes as he closed his shop early today due to the excessive heat. I will get the codes Monday as I dont feel comfortable driving the car out of town to shop to get the codes read. The guy in town is an 1/8 of a mile from me.
You are not grasping the problem here. First, your truck may have a serious problem and shouldn't be driven. Second, there has to be a local auto parts store where you live and most real read the codes for "FREE".
Why wait till Monday and pay your mechanic for something you can most likely get done for free today, unless you have another driver in the mean time.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Drifting

No, theres not. I live in a very small town and we have a car quest store who doesnt read codes (I called today and asked). My mechanic will read them for free and Im not going to drive the car till I take it to his shop. And yep, I have another car for in the meantime. The car is on the drive and wont be moved till Monday.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Hi Guys ...

I got my codes

P1300 -
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
P0306 - Cylinder 6 misfire
P1590 - Manufacturer (?)

Please help

Thanks

Quick Reply: Flashing SES Light and Vibration