Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   flexible hose clamp remover (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/flexible-hose-clamp-remover-48570/)

outdoor7or24 03-30-2012 06:21 AM

flexible hose clamp remover

Hey, I am replacing coolant hoses, can I find a flexible hose clamp remover at places like harbor freight or do I need to order online?
Just wondering as I cannot find it on harbor freight's website....

Any tips?

Was planning on reusing stock clamps vs. hose clamps.

G Reeves 03-30-2012 06:57 AM

I just used a pair of pipe pliers to undo mine and the same to put them back on when i did my T/Stat. Worked fine for me.

jeffh 03-30-2012 08:14 AM

You can use the pliers. But I would recommend replacing with quality screw style clamps. It is easier in the end to fix repair etc.. Plus alot on this forum feel that they are better than the factory clamp.

Hay 03-30-2012 06:04 PM

I bought the special pliers because those factory clamps are a real pain to get off otherwise. Costly pliers but the clamps come of easily in seconds. The pliers work really well.

I reinstalled my new hose with good quality SS hose clamps. The ones that have a sort of liner so that the serated part doesnt dig into the hose. These can be hard to find sometimes but are much better than the cheap clamps. I got mine at an industrial hose supplier, not your usual auto supply retail shop.

buick215 03-31-2012 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hay (Post 309307)
I bought the special pliers because those factory clamps are a real pain to get off otherwise. Costly pliers but the clamps come of easily in seconds. The pliers work really well.

I reinstalled my new hose with good quality SS hose clamps. The ones that have a sort of liner so that the serated part doesnt dig into the hose. These can be hard to find sometimes but are much better than the cheap clamps. I got mine at an industrial hose supplier, not your usual auto supply retail shop.

FYI you can get those SS hose clamps without the serrated part like you mention at marine stores. Most if not all boats use that type of clamp.

Snafu / Disco Fries 03-31-2012 11:54 PM

Most auto parts stores and Sears carry them. I just did all the hoses and they come in VERY handy. Even if you are replacing with screw clamps, getting the factory ones off with the particular tool is much easier. The ones I have look like a small bowl on one side, and a double prong on the other. Never slipped off the clamp once and easy to maneuver. I got them a few years back I believe at Sears, and I know I didn't pay more that like $15. Money well spent!

cdm 04-01-2012 07:25 PM

Never had an issue with the adjustable locking pliers. and once you put them back at the correct angle you are set. meanwhile i've stripped plenty of the jubilee clips

outdoor7or24 04-01-2012 09:01 PM

Found a pair today at my local Autozone, $35.
I ordered the coolant hose kit from Atlantic British as well as the clamp kit. I am not sure if they are the ones that Hay or buick215 are talking about...
hmmmnn, seems like you can just keep adding to the repair list, not to mention the repair bill!
haha