Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flexible hose clamp remover

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flexible hose clamp remover

Hey, I am replacing coolant hoses, can I find a flexible hose clamp remover at places like harbor freight or do I need to order online?
Just wondering as I cannot find it on harbor freight's website....

Any tips?

Was planning on reusing stock clamps vs. hose clamps.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used a pair of pipe pliers to undo mine and the same to put them back on when i did my T/Stat. Worked fine for me.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You can use the pliers. But I would recommend replacing with quality screw style clamps. It is easier in the end to fix repair etc.. Plus alot on this forum feel that they are better than the factory clamp.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Hay
Overlanding

I bought the special pliers because those factory clamps are a real pain to get off otherwise. Costly pliers but the clamps come of easily in seconds. The pliers work really well.

I reinstalled my new hose with good quality SS hose clamps. The ones that have a sort of liner so that the serated part doesnt dig into the hose. These can be hard to find sometimes but are much better than the cheap clamps. I got mine at an industrial hose supplier, not your usual auto supply retail shop.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Hay
I bought the special pliers because those factory clamps are a real pain to get off otherwise. Costly pliers but the clamps come of easily in seconds. The pliers work really well.

I reinstalled my new hose with good quality SS hose clamps. The ones that have a sort of liner so that the serated part doesnt dig into the hose. These can be hard to find sometimes but are much better than the cheap clamps. I got mine at an industrial hose supplier, not your usual auto supply retail shop.
FYI you can get those SS hose clamps without the serrated part like you mention at marine stores. Most if not all boats use that type of clamp.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most auto parts stores and Sears carry them. I just did all the hoses and they come in VERY handy. Even if you are replacing with screw clamps, getting the factory ones off with the particular tool is much easier. The ones I have look like a small bowl on one side, and a double prong on the other. Never slipped off the clamp once and easy to maneuver. I got them a few years back I believe at Sears, and I know I didn't pay more that like $15. Money well spent!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
cdm
Drifting

Never had an issue with the adjustable locking pliers. and once you put them back at the correct angle you are set. meanwhile i've stripped plenty of the jubilee clips

Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Found a pair today at my local Autozone, $35.
I ordered the coolant hose kit from Atlantic British as well as the clamp kit. I am not sure if they are the ones that Hay or buick215 are talking about...
hmmmnn, seems like you can just keep adding to the repair list, not to mention the repair bill!
haha