Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded Rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Rover

Hi folks!

Im new to the D2 gang and am fully hooked! I was at an auto auction not long ago with no intentions of buying when at the last minute my hand shoots in the air and I now own a 99 D2 princess with 157,000 miles for $1050. By the way this is my first post and know I have to get at least five. Anyways after whipping a new head gasket in the adventure began. Took her up to MT. Hood for a little exploring and longer story short got her stuck in enough water to submerge the exhaust. She ran that way for an hour and a half before some kind hunters pulled us out with ease. On the way home the M&S lights start flashing and check engine light comes on although driving relatively well. Next day mandatory errands leave me unable to reverse and driving home in limp mode.
Now dirty princess wont start, shift or give me the key back without unhooking the battery. So far I have pulled all carpet, headliners and seats in order to dry. I fear for the headliner. I have also pulled the TCU(glad to know that's there) and the XYZ Switch. Switch looks good but TCU was full of mud and got replaced. I might not be able to completely afford this but I love it any way.
So... I have been pouring over this site and so much great info. You guys rock! I am trying to upgrade my status on this site so i can have full access to pics and what not.
I am hunting for links to all the different tricks and tips for water proofing the electrics and venting all of those wonderful trans and diff cases. So much I should have known before being a knuckle head but live and learn. You cant beat this experience!
Along with waterproofing and possibly herculining the whole floor I am preparing to do all "major maintenance", OME suspension, snorkel, New bumpers and winch. What else do I need?

Attached Thumbnails Flooded Rover-wading.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you say you pulled the carpets, i assume because they go wet. That box under your drivers seat is the computer for your transmission, did it get wet?

Simple steps for waterproofing pull every connector apart under the truck, clean and dry them, then put them back together using dielectric grease.

Your factory vents are already pretty high, but can easily be extended.

Another thing to remember when playing in water is the seals on your truck are made for keeping lubricates IN not water OUT, so you will probablly want to drain your diffs and see how much water got into them.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's awesome man i love to see someone enjoy the disco!!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And you better crawl under there and make sure you have a new or upgraded front drive shaft or you will blow out the transmission . There are 3 universal joints on the front shaft each need to gave a grease fitting in order to be able to service them.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Take the transmission computer into the house.
Get a hair dryer and gently dry it out.

Water and computers don't mix.
Think - cell phone in the toilet.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Ya, the transmission control module was full of mud I but found a replacement on ebay for $40.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Next time I drop my cell phone in the toilet I am going to make sure it is or wait not to but do water proof the Rover.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a friend who did the exact same thing, only his sat overngiht with water over the floor boards.
Replaced trans computer, changed driveline oils and crank sensor and all was well once again.
If you have not already open up the XYZ switch and clean it, lube it, seal it, put it back.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

This guy was a great help!

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Crank sensor? On the list. I bought a rinky dink blue tooth obd2 scanner and app and only got p0705 and p1612 which pointed at xyz especially due to no lcd display of gear position as well as no start and no release of key. I am suspect of the rinky dink due to the fact I had the four amigos and a check engine light also with no provided codes. Next topic scanners.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Three Wheeling

What would I lube XYZ with? How do you feel about a light coat of silicone on both sides of the gasket before reassembly?

Quick Reply: Flooded Rover