Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLUSH OR NOT??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:16 AM
TReK
Default RE: FLUSH OR NOT??

ORIGINAL: Switzer

It seems DII's had oil coolers until a certain VIN in 2002. It is beyond me why an engine which needs an oil cooler suddenly does not, but engineers are a dirty lot of people who don't always have a good reason for the things they do. I am fortunate enough to have the oil cooler.

Cheers,

Pete

That was about the time that Land Rover found that most Land Rovers never went
off road so why spend the money on a oil cooler when most people did not need it.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:22 AM
TReK

As far as oil I use Mobil One Synthetic Highmileage 10w40 or 10w30
and the Mobil One oil filter.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:40 AM
Administrator

If you do the ATF flush, chance are real good you will improve you oil flow and pressure.
I did mine years ago and I still throw one of the 1 quarts flushs in every 2nd. or 3rd. oil change, engine is quiet and runs like a clock.

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling

I doubt the decision was made out a necessity to reduce the overall cost. The part is $200.00 new from most Rover shops. I assume it could be added to newer Disco's if someone bought all the parts and wrenched them on there. Not to get off subject...

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-02-2008 | 08:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike: You mention dropping the oil pan and cleaning, etc. if one were to do the flush. I would like to give it a shot on my 95 Disco I, it has 150k, 50k of which I have put on, and it has probably never been flushed. Bit of a novice here, is there much difficulty in taking the pan off, or in replacing once clean, or any general "heads ups" you would tell us to look for. Thanks

Old 10-02-2008 | 10:00 AM
Team Owner

I have never dropped the oil pan and a Disco but it looks pretty straight forward. You will only need to do that if you lose oil pressure after your engine flush.
I am not a fan of engine flushes, but that is just me.
If you use a full synthetic motor oil it will do that same thing as a engine flush only it takes longer. Full synthetics have more detergents than dino oil. Penzoil full syn has 46% more detergents than their dino oil for example.
If you have been using full syn for these 50,000 miles then I think that you could do the ATF flush and not have to drop the oil pan.
Personally, I would just keep using the full syn and not worry about it.
Just some light reading, I use Mobil 1 but I am always looking to educate myself.
http://www.pennzoil.com/products.html

Old 10-02-2008 | 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike: I have only run dino oil in her as that is what the previous owner told me they ran. I have never known the ins and outs of going from conventional-syntho. Any advice on that? Can you just drain the dino and put in the syntho? Thanks for all you help and advice.

Old 10-02-2008 | 11:33 AM
Team Owner

You can just drain the dino out and refill with full syn. Thats what i did. Dino and syn oils are fully compatible with one another.
Another benifit of using full syn is you can go 5,000 miles between oil changes

Old 10-02-2008 | 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Make sure you do not go past 5000 miles. Rover V8's run rich and put more crap into the oil than usual. Add off road environments such as dirt and dust. These things get past the air filter and make the oil work harder than normal.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-02-2008 | 03:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Is there any reason not to run synthetic? Any clear choice of makes and weight? I think Spike stated he uses Mobil but provided some good literature on Penzoil. I am an Iowegian, so the weather is about to turn quite cold and nasty in these parts.

Quick Reply: FLUSH OR NOT??