Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying out to pick up my discovery tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flying out to pick up my discovery tomorrow

Alright I finally have one, or will tomorrow. After looking for about a week and negotiating with many people I found what I think is the best deal.

I have found that 1000miles away from me is where the prices really start to plummet on these things so it was hard to find one of them 100k 2000$ rovers.

Heres what I have.
1998 Discovery I LE
White [only color I wanted]
95,000 miles
3750$

The whole thing appears to be in good condition, the front leather is a little cracked not bad, but may get covered with some wet okole's.

Everything seemed great but that was just from the owners word.

Owner took pictures of nearly everything and there appears to be no rust but I did find what looks like a leaky axle seal. I bringing a wrench with me I plan on stopping somewhere getting some differential fluid and filling it up and checking it every couple hundred miles.

Total trip is going to be a little over 800 miles back. From South Carolina back to Louisiana. Im going to stop and pick up some coolant just incase along with a few other things.

I really hope this thing makes it back and I don't end up with one of the horror stories I have read on here. Please pray for my quick return.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man! If your journey takes you through TN and you need help hit me up.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you need a carry on full of useful tools. first stop like you said, coolant and oil.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea I wish I could but a full set of tools seems like it would be to much of a hassle

Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing when I bought my '03 with 63k miles. Just barely made it from TX to CO. It is definitely best to go with the mindset that something could very well go wrong, especially if it hasn't been driven a whole lot in the time leading up to the trip. And have an independent party look things over if you can, preferably a Rover-friendly shop that might know what to look for. I wish I had. But, I did get home and worked on it a whole lot with the help of other Rover folks. Now I am happy It was a very rocky relationship in the beginning.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 PM

no not a full set. i said a carry on full of useful tools. i would bring jumper cables, two adjustable wrenches, some fuses, electrical tape, duct tape, and one of those multi screwdriver tools.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench

well im trying to hopefully not have to get searched too much at the airport. I know tools longer than 7" are usually not allowed for cary on. Im afraid my cresent wrench will be 8" lol.

The plastic fill plug can be removed with a crecent wrench right? I believe its about 13/16's in size.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Pro Wrench

also is there something special about locking this thing I should know. I would hate to lock it to go in a store only to come back and not beable to get in. I know don't lock keys in car. Do the doors even have a key hole or is it all electronic?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me i would stop by a Sears and buy one of their complete tool sets close to where i was picking the rover up. One with the basic spanners, sockets, screwdrivers, and such. Might cost a little money but just keep the receipt. If something breaks and you need the tools then you have them, if all goes well then just return them when you get to your destination. just my 2cents. good luck with the trip.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM

yes the driver side door has a key hole. and if you lock it by using the key hole you will only set the outer alarm and not the inner sensors. if you use the keyfob once you will lock it and set the inner sensors, if you hit the fob twice enabling super-lock which doesnt allow the doors to be opened from the inside in case of a theif breaking a window and trying to open it from the inside.

Quick Reply: Flying out to pick up my discovery tomorrow