Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Bluetooth transmitter reco

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM Bluetooth transmitter reco

Looking for recommendations for an FM radio transmitter so I can connect my phone to the audio system via bluetooth.

Hoping this can also replace my usb charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I have a 2000 Discovery II.

Thanks!

Tim

Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just search amazon for one, they have a hundred of them for under $15 and they all do the same thing. However I would definitely look into the GROM audio bluetooth upgrade... it works in place of the CD player and the sound quality is amazing compared to the FM transmitter, and it also has a USB and AUX cable for you to use.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

GROM!!! Much more expensive, but well worth it!

Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Had one. It sucked.
I tapped directly into the CD under the passenger seat and added a ⅛ plug. Then it’s just a little Chinese Bluetooth unit or plug the phone in direct.
Also means that when the Bluetooth unit fails (which they seem to like to do) it’s just that that needs to be replaced.
Very cheap solution.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

For the cost of a Grom, you're better off buying an aftermarket head unit. There's nothing particularly impressive about the stock one.

I bought an Anker FM transmitter, which works well enough, but my end goal is a Joying head unit with Android Auto.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
For the cost of a Grom, you're better off buying an aftermarket head unit. There's nothing particularly impressive about the stock one.
Fair point, depending on your priorities. My '99 has the "high-end" Harmon Kardon system and all I wanted to do was add Bluetooth without getting into the amp system or modifying the stock appearance. I agree the GROM is not inexpensive, but as I said, it depends on your objectives and priorities.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

I use a basic Fm transmitter that sits in the back beside my VHF radio works just fine and yes it was cheap maybe 25.00 CDN. It powered via the rear 'Cig Lighter' plug and provides USB power back there

Old 08-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Had one. It sucked.
I tapped directly into the CD under the passenger seat and added a ⅛ plug. Then it’s just a little Chinese Bluetooth unit or plug the phone in direct.
Also means that when the Bluetooth unit fails (which they seem to like to do) it’s just that that needs to be replaced.
Very cheap solution.
What I did as well, turns the old Disco 2 into a 2014 era vehicle in regards to music connections. Well played, sir!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I found one for $7.99 in a thrift store. This model works great. I modified the wiring a bit to make it go on/off with radio power.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...47-99-a-93149/

Old 09-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Had one. It sucked.
Very cheap solution.
could you explain in greater detail how you did this? How did you “tap in”.

be aware; I no longer have the stock head unit or the cd changer....but was thinking of reinstalling them so I could regain my steering controls; and still adapt BT capabilities. I have a thumbstick BT adapter now...but I would REALLY love to get rid of it and de clutter my dash.

thanks.

Quick Reply: FM Bluetooth transmitter reco