Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fording

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fording

Hello Gents!

I do not yet own a Disco, but am wondering what the maximum depth of water they can ford. (I know no vehicle is 'supposed' to go past the center of its axle...)

I saw a show on the .... ironically enough, DISCOVERY channel, where a guy was taken at gunpoint by some indigenous Cambodians, and told to drive his land rover through a river. He was sure it would get swept away, but he figured either way he would die, and if it was swept away, maybe he could at least try to swim away. He had water up to his knees, but the Land Rover made it across!!

I'm not sure what model it was, and I know you'd probably ruin your interior, but at that point, who cares?

Thanks!

Pat

Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Fording

I wouldn't take it much past the doors. The seals will leak and you will ruin the carpets. That being said, I have taken mine though water that was just under the trim on the door. I had to put bricks under the carpet the next day, but she was a champ. I wouldn't have done this normally, but I was just trying to get home and a few of Tulsa's finest got their cars swept away from the flash flooding. These trucks are so heavy and the tires are relatively skinny, so it holds to the ground really well. I passed a swamped H2 that night. That made it all worth it.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesels can go in water better than gassers.
Most things short out on the gassers and stall.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can prep almost any vehicle for fording - so it really depends on how much you want to do to the car prior to fording it.

Diesels are easier to prep that petrol (gasoline) engines - but god forbid you get water into the induction on any engine, more so a diesel, as liquids aren't compressable like gasses and tend to blow head gaskets (at best) or ruin con rods and crankshafts (or even engine blocks at worst).

Increasing the length of the axle, gearbox and transfer box breathers is a MUST DO if you're going to wade above the manufacturers design specs (50cm / 19" for a defender or disco1 IIRC)

Okdisco said it right - door seals will keep rain out, but aren't designed for total immersion - you will get the interior wet (and muddy, full of sand, pond life and weed) if you go over the height of the seals.

With that said and with a degree of waterproofing of electrics and a clear passage to air this is what can be achieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqydkK0arc

Watch from about 1min 30

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If your seals are tight and you run at a constant slow speed, you can go easily to the top of your tires. I run a 2.5" lift with 32" tires and I have easily crossed ponds with water to the top of my headlights. D1's handle the water a little better then D2's only because of where their air intake tube is located, a D2 is in the drivers wheel well and can suck water a shallower level.
Send me an e-mail and I send you a water crossing picture of my truck if you want to see.