Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame rust protection suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Frame rust protection suggestions

So after being freaked out by all the frame rot threads here and around the internet I would like to ensure that I am not doing this anytime soon:

Waxoyl comes highly recommended but at a steep price. We got our Discovery from down south and there was not a spec of rust on the undercarriage when we got it but after two winters here in MA I am seeing some areas starting to rust.

Does anyone have any Waxoyl DIY alternative suggestions? So far my plan is to wirebrush and touch up some areas with rust converter and a rubberized frame spray for the exterior areas. However inside the frame rails and other hard to reach areas in another story. Whats worked best for you?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a hold of Zach a.k.a. ZGphoto avatar for some pointers. He works at Rover's North.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Closed cell foam sealant, here. No water no cry!

Old 04-06-2014, 02:10 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Really Dusty? You mean like expanding polyurethane foam? I'd be worried about trapping water in weird places.
As a Canadian, my feeling is just undercoating, lots of it, and every year. And even then, I'd love to be able to just dip the whole truck in a giant vat of the stuff twice a year.
I'm curious about these new nano-scale hydrophobic treatments (like Rust-Oleum NeverWet®). It would be interesting to experiment from new with them.
I'd also like to try applying them to the electrical — last time I went wading I was clearing codes for about a week.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The issue is getting it inside the frame. The foam can do that quite easily seeing that it expands. But how would you get a spray inside easily enough to coat the entire frame.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
The issue is getting it inside the frame. The foam can do that quite easily seeing that it expands. But how would you get a spray inside easily enough to coat the entire frame.
You can get a ball wand and tube to feed along the chassis, how effective it is may be debatable. Accessing the cross sections and any outriggers could prove difficult if not impossible. Waxoyl is great on new or nearly new trucks but once the dreaded rust has set in I think it's a waste of time. I'm not convinced about rust neutralising treatments either.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SO, for this foam, couldn't I just add a retarded long tube onto the can/sprayer and feed it most of the way through the front of my frame and just apply it and slowly pull it out?

Dusty what foam did you use? I'm interested in doing this myself.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

iirc it was gorrilla. i just made sure it was closed cell. I used a few feet of clear hose and slipped over the nozzle.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
SO, for this foam, couldn't I just add a retarded long tube onto the can/sprayer and feed it most of the way through the front of my frame and just apply it and slowly pull it out?

Dusty what foam did you use? I'm interested in doing this myself.
The only way I can see of a DIY application is the drill some holes (say 3/8" or 1/2") alternately each side, say about 2' apart and then feed in the expanding foam and check for egress from the next hole or use a boroscope to check https://www.google.fr/search?q=boros...w=1164&bih=611

To be safe against water uptake or entrapment you will need to use a quality closed cell polyurethane type foam, typically, a marine foam Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh marine foam. Duh. I built a fiberglass boat and insulated it with that stuff last year. I'll just weld a tab over every hole in the chassis, no water will get in.

Quick Reply: Frame rust protection suggestions