Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'froadin'

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'froadin'

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, so we went to White Cloud MI today to do some offroading, of the 4 hours that we were on the trails we spent 3 of those being stuck, saw the water, no big deal, well the ruts were so deep that we got hung up on the axles.
I pulled out my trust foxhole shovel and started digging, wedged fallen trees under the tires, tried everything.
After 45 min of trying I had to hike over a hour, in the rain, to get help.
Found a couple watching tv with a 4x4 and they helped yanked us out.
The tow truck in the area charges over $450 to yank you out. His price STARTS at $450, once you tell him "along the power lines" and $$ signs in his eyes.
We were only a mile in.
They said that all kinds of people go back there with their super swampers and purposly dig holes in the water so that people get stuck.
The only thing that would have got us out was a winch or maybe a Hi-Lift, which I hinted to many times on the ride home.
I must say that I am damn lucky to have married the woman that I did, she stood in the rain to take the picks of me driving though some mud, and she and our son sat in the truck for the hour and a half that I went for help.
She was not even pissed, she was worried that I might get lost or be shot because of all the turkey hunters that were in the woods.
On the ride home we talked about taking the trailer and doing a trail clean up this summer, take the kids and make a day of it, picnic and all.
We drove 120 miles today and only 5 of that was trail miles, a very disappointing day.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome pics! Looks like the whole family had a blast. Five miles on the trail are better than any mileage on a road.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrockett
Awesome pics! Looks like the whole family had a blast. Five miles on the trail are better than any mileage on a road.
This is very true.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tree pic is awesome. i am a professional photographer, i can definitely see that as a black and white canvas. a pic like that makes the day not a waste in itself. land rover looks good too!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
the tree pic is awesome. i am a professional photographer, i can definitely see that as a black and white canvas. a pic like that makes the day not a waste in itself. land rover looks good too!
My wife took that one through the sunroof.
She had to take several as the rain kept gettinig on the lens.

I have to tell you that the driveway pic does not show the mud very well, white really hieds the dirt.
It is raining again so she should be clean by morning, then I can do all of the after words stuff, like check the diffs for water (she sat for 3 hrs submerged remember) and grease the u-joints.

The pics dont show it well but the wheels were off the ground, all four of them, I reached under each one with my hand and there was prob 2 inches of clearence between the bottom of the wheels and the ground.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

yeah, mine had water ingress in the rear diff. i would drain and change, then off road, and it would be there again, looked like chocolate milk. the axle breather was leaking right at the axle. the bolt was somehow leaking, then when one drop of water would get in there, pressure would build up and push grease out of the seal. man, that sucks that that took you out. but hey, looks good stuck or not. those rims are way cooler stock rims than mine.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

always wheel with a buddy if you have no means of personal rescue like a winch... its one of the baseline rules man you should know that... of course ive dont the same thing and had to walk 5 miles to ask someone for help

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by discoxd
always wheel with a buddy if you have no means of personal rescue like a winch... its one of the baseline rules man you should know that... of course ive dont the same thing and had to walk 5 miles to ask someone for help
Yes the #1 rule of offroading is to go with a friend, but I dont have any.
And we have logged over 1,000 trail miles on that truck and have not once gotten stuck, until yesterday.
There was a portage to go around the water and I should have taken it.
That stuff we were stuck on was sand, it had the consistency of sand that is in the surf at the beach, you scoop it away and it just flows back in and fills the hole.
I tried to shovel out the front axle, I dug a trench to try and drain the water, nothing was going to help.
It was a rookie mistake, oh well, nobody got hurt and thats all that counts.
We cant wait to go again.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes the #1 rule of offroading is to go with a friend, but I dont have any.
And we have logged over 1,000 trail miles on that truck and have not once gotten stuck, until yesterday.
There was a portage to go around the water and I should have taken it.
That stuff we were stuck on was sand, it had the consistency of sand that is in the surf at the beach, you scoop it away and it just flows back in and fills the hole.
I tried to shovel out the front axle, I dug a trench to try and drain the water, nothing was going to help.
It was a rookie mistake, oh well, nobody got hurt and thats all that counts.
We cant wait to go again.
i'm your friend...

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice piccys m8, good to see that gleaming D1 get dirty!!! getting stuck is always a pain, but its allpart of the learning curve, and sounds like an excuse to buy a winch imo