Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Crossmember Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It does not need to be there in the least. Please, feel free to contact GKN about this.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been off for over a year and I have yet to see any ill effects.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Mudding

You guys are honestly gonna say that it offers no structural support to the frame at all? That your frame will NOT twist over time especially if you wheel it? Come on, that's rubbish and if you truly think that than you should do some more homework.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Camel Trophy

What more homework can I do Mudd? I've already contacted the manufacture of the chassis, would you suggest I contact the person that sold them the metal?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Camel Trophy

I'm also not claiming that it offers NO support, just that the difference is negligible and you'll never notice.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I'm also not claiming that it offers NO support, just that the difference is negligible and you'll never notice.
Manufacturers do like to claim increased chassis rigidity over previous models. Also, some D2 have ACE, so maybe they added extra to improve on road handling?

I plan on keeping mine if possible, but I also understand why people remove them. Maybe I'm just a belt and suspenders kind of guy... if the suspenders are free anyway.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah I hear you, if you have the spacers why not? I'm just putting the info out there that it's not extremely vital to the integrity of your chassis. If your chassis is rotten, PLEASE KEEP IT ON!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
What more homework can I do Mudd? I've already contacted the manufacture of the chassis, would you suggest I contact the person that sold them the metal?

So what your saying is the manufacturer told you the cross member is basically there for no reason?
Sorry dude, I find that very hard to believe. First off the company that Land Rover used to manufacture the frame components wont never say anything is unnecessary to Land Rovers design, because there could be potential problems making statements against a company feeds you.
And if they were the ones that designed and manufactured said part why in hell would a company ever admit to it being basically a paper weight?
Sorry Im calling BS.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. And yes, you are correct, they "won't never" say anything to us. Disregarding that, The company I work for works very closely with two major chassis players in the UK, without going into much detail(not that you care, you clearly know everything!) they essentially said that while it was in fact added to the Discovery 2, it made no real structural difference to the chassis.

Not that I really care, you can speculate all you want. Your opinions are just that, opinions. What I know has not been guessed. You are free to believe whatever you'd like.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Mudding

Im the one that sounds like he knows everything... I think not pal. Clearly you must be in the Land Rover secret circle of knowledge.... I stand corrected.
And if I were you, I wouldn't be spouting off insider information on a public forum if your so in the know... may cause problems at work wouldn't you say??

Quick Reply: Front Crossmember Disco II