Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front diff failing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Front diff failing?

I've got a scrubbing noise at very slow speeds (5-15 mph).

It's coming from the front of the truck and I can feel it a tiny bit in the steering wheel.

It doesn't change when I turn in either direction or press the brakes.

I also have a hum and very slight vibration at around 70 mph.

I pulled the front shaft and the slow speed noise continued, but the high speed noise stopped.

I jacked up each front wheel, put the transfer case in N, and spun each wheel by hand. I heard a the noise no matter which wheel I spun, but couldn't successfully locate it.

I'm thinking the diff is failing, but is it a bearing or the gears themselves? When I changed the fluid a year ago, it had metal shavings in it.

If it is the diff, how likely is a catastrophic failure? I'm planning a 1400 mile road trip next week.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi Dr M,

Diffs usually deteriorate progressively and make the most noise, usually, on overrun. They rarely fail catastrophically but it's been known to happen when they are really worn or defective and a piece of bearing or a broken helical tooth jams between the pinion and crownwheel. I've only known of one major failure in 40+ years on an LR where it went 'bang' big time and cracked the cage completely but this is rare.

The later diffs are more prone to failure typically the LR3 but I believe it isn't overly common.

Sorry I can't be of more help as this is such a rare occurence.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine failed, I was on the highway and heard a crunching/grinding noise which was intermittent. Was in New Hampshire so I got it towed to a local shop. Mechanic first thought it sounded/felt like a stuck brake he said. Turned out to be the front diff.

Was able to get it towed to Cityside (AAA+ rules) and they replaced it, but I recall they said they don't see diffs failing much. I can say it was much more obvious than what you describe - it was a sound that made me stop driving right away.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel the pumpkin after you drive it, if its hot, its the diff.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Should have dealt with it when you found metal shaving on your last fluid change.
Drain the fluid, what color is it, does it smell burnt and what about checks of metal on the magnet?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

At least salvage diffs are cheap.
When my front one went it was a couple loud cracks and pops...

If it implodes you would prolly be able to lock it and get to where you are headed. Done that a couple times

Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
Feel the pumpkin after you drive it, if its hot, its the diff.
The diff definitely gets hot when driving. As in, touch it and get burned. I didn't know that was a symptom of diff failure.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Should have dealt with it when you found metal shaving on your last fluid change.
Drain the fluid, what color is it, does it smell burnt and what about checks of metal on the magnet?
I'll have to do this when I get back. As I recall from a year ago, there were no chunks but there was plenty of ground up metal.

Originally Posted by dusty1
At least salvage diffs are cheap.
When my front one went it was a couple loud cracks and pops...

If it implodes you would prolly be able to lock it and get to where you are headed. Done that a couple times
I already pulled the front shaft to diagnose it, so I'm hoping that will reduce the stress on the system until I can swap it.

Thanks for the help, fellas!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:47 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

If it turns out you need a diff let me know. I have plenty.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your pumpkin will be hot to the touch if your diff is bad, because a bad bearing will create a lot of friction. I've had to front diff failures; one I sheared 4 teeth off the ring gear and one I had a vibrating driveshaft. The job isn't hard, its just labor intensive.

Also, fwiw, I found a front diff for 70$ shipped with a 3month warranty here from Marty, it came in a bucket, it was dirty (I had to flush it out a few times), but after I cleaned it its working fine now.

Last edited by Dane!; 06-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yep they usually come, fully lubed (nasty). $60-$70 with shipping is what I have paid on a couple of occasions. if your 1400 miles brings you buy my place, you can get one for $2.75, $5.50 with bucket.

Last edited by dusty1; 06-30-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Front diff failing?