Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Differential Seal Leaking at Propshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Differential Seal Leaking at Propshaft

I noticed today that I had a fierce leak coming out of the spot where my propshaft enters the front differential.

I am sure that this has been encountered by others, but what is the prognosis of this? Is this a difficult repair? Am I looking at dropping the propshaft? Taking apart the differential? I hope this isn't something that has to get pressed into the differential by a machine shop...

What part do I need to get and where would you recommend? I also haven't upgraded the propshafts, is this a good time to do that in conjunction?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Drop the propshaft, remove the input flange from the pinion, pop the old seal out, install the new seal, reinstall flange and propshaft.
You'll need a new seal and self locking nut for the pinion.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks a bunch Tom. Do I need any special tools to remove the input flange from the pinion, pop the old seal out or install the new seal? (RAVE seems to mention something about special tools).

Also, is this the part that I will need?:

Seal - Pinion - Oil (Part # FTC5258) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British

And I can't seem to find a self locking nut listed anywhere, any clues on where to get one? Or will it come with the seal?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I would suggest an impact wrench if you don't have one.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

2x impact wrench, unless u want to drop a nut

Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also look at replacing the output flange as well. You can get the whole kit for $80 or so. Mine was worn so bad that the new seal still leaked. Save yourself the trouble of doing it twice.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by taylor15
I would also look at replacing the output flange as well. You can get the whole kit for $80 or so. Mine was worn so bad that the new seal still leaked. Save yourself the trouble of doing it twice.
Great advice. Do you have a recommended manufacturer or vender to pick one up from?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Mudding

I bought the flange kit from AB. I'll find the part number on my computer tomorrow

Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Taylor, thanks a ton. I just found the flange kit on the AB site. Did you use a torque wrench when you did yours or encounter any other tricky issues? Maybe this is a dumb question but do think i could substitute a breaker bar or my 18v impact driver for the torque wrench? I can currently afford my parts, but the torque wrench is still on the wishlist...

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Mudding

I used a torque wrench that I borrowed from my neighbor. It is 104lb (I think, check the RAVE) but other than that I only had to buy a socket for the nut. The only trick that helped was blocking the wheels really well and putting the truck in neuteral so the tires would spin to remove the front drive shaft. If you cannot do this it is difficult to get to the nuts. Otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: Front Differential Seal Leaking at Propshaft