Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive shaft upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front drive shaft upgrade

I just purchased the Serviceable Front driveshaft from Lucky8, Is there any things to look out for? Any tips or any thing I should be aware of during the installation? Thanks

Old 09-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Pump it full of grease before installing it.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (10-01-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

All pretty straightforward but a few tips for a driveshaft change:

1) Use new hardware. Doing it first time likely you'll round out a few nuts. (Lucky8 comes with new hardware though if I recall...)
2) Use the right tools. Hardware is 9/16, not metric. Buy the removal tool (google it propshaft tool Discovery or something. Use that tool and then a 6 point 9/16 wrench to remove (not a 12 point or open end of wrench !)
3) You don't have to jack up your Disco. But if you do it's more room to work underneath.. If you have 2+" lift you're prob ok on ground.
4) If you have rear air suspension, for safety, put jack stands under the frame. My 00 with airbags adjusts at the most odd times, including when I've been under it.
5) Because of driveline angles, you probably will need to move the truck forwards and backwards a few feet to access 1 or more bolt/nut.
6) I just tighten them pretty hard with a 1/2" breaker bar. Never have used torque wrench or loctite on these fasteners, FYI and many driveshafts on / off without issue.
7) Not sure if L8 driveshafts come pre greased but chk the instructions / with them. Or just grease it up anyways.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Leave the truck in neutral and jack up the passenger front wheel (use a jack stand of course) - it’ll give you more room to work, and you can spin the wheel with your foot to move the driveshaft around and access each of the bolts.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (10-01-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 12:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Pump it full of grease before installing it.
any grease in particular?

Old 09-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
All pretty straightforward but a few tips for a driveshaft change:

1) Use new hardware. Doing it first time likely you'll round out a few nuts. (Lucky8 comes with new hardware though if I recall...)
2) Use the right tools. Hardware is 9/16, not metric. Buy the removal tool (google it propshaft tool Discovery or something. Use that tool and then a 6 point 9/16 wrench to remove (not a 12 point or open end of wrench !)
3) You don't have to jack up your Disco. But if you do it's more room to work underneath.. If you have 2+" lift you're prob ok on ground.
4) If you have rear air suspension, for safety, put jack stands under the frame. My 00 with airbags adjusts at the most odd times, including when I've been under it.
5) Because of driveline angles, you probably will need to move the truck forwards and backwards a few feet to access 1 or more bolt/nut.
6) I just tighten them pretty hard with a 1/2" breaker bar. Never have used torque wrench or loctite on these fasteners, FYI and many driveshafts on / off without issue.
7) Not sure if L8 driveshafts come pre greased but chk the instructions / with them. Or just grease it up anyways.
I googled for the removal tool but there’s more than a few different ones that pop up. Is this a specific tool for the Land Rover?

Old 09-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

It's this but you can buy it at a number of places - https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rn...t_special_tool

Old 09-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
It's this but you can buy it at a number of places - https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rn...t_special_tool
Can I not use a 9/16 socket? That’s all this seems to be ,,
maybe I’m missing something?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshawa_D2
I just purchased the Serviceable Front driveshaft from Lucky8, Is there any things to look out for? Any tips or any thing I should be aware of during the installation? Thanks
If you're from Oshawa Canada I just bought a D2 too, Meaning to do this upgrade myself

Old 09-19-2020, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a 9/16 socket but it's got a slim profile that makes the job 20x easier. I have done it without but it is not fun. The rear shaft uses the same size so if you plan to upgrade that ever, you'll be glad you have it.

If you're near Central Oregon I have two and I'm happy to give one up.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Edit: Nvm you're in Canada

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft upgrade