Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Driveshaft Vibe

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Driveshaft Vibe

I've been getting a vibration from my front driveshaft. I got underneath, ready to pull it to replace the u-joints, and they were perfectly fine. looking and feeling around, I noticed I could flex the DS at least 1/8" at the slip splines closest to the t-case.

Normal? Looking at a new shaft?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
I've been getting a vibration from my front driveshaft. I got underneath, ready to pull it to replace the u-joints, and they were perfectly fine. looking and feeling around, I noticed I could flex the DS at least 1/8" at the slip splines closest to the t-case.

Normal? Looking at a new shaft?
I'd inspect it, mine is solid as a rock.

(was it at full extension?)

luck,greg

Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No, if anything maybe compressed a little. I had the front pass side wheel jacked up to be able to spin it. I think it's wear from the prev owners maintenance neglect. I dont think it was greased much before I got it.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It shouldnt have much play in it if any at all. Try taking the front DS out and lock the CDL and drive it and see if the vibration is still there.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Drifting

You cannot tell condition by physical inspection. Seems like you should be able to, but you can't. When I had my rebuilt last week on the sage advice of others here, the tech from a reputable drive shaft shop said he didn't understand why he was rebuilding what appeared to be a perfectly serviceable PS. After he broke it apart, he noted two completely dry caps. Failure was iminent! Who knows how long...a mile or 10K miles, but it was DEFINATELY going to fail.

Get it done. Today. It's easy to do yourself, or have it done for less than $200. You'll sleep much better. I know I do!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i say better safe than sorry. take it off and rebuilt it yourself so you can properly maintain it. $70 in parts now or $4000 in parts later..

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The problem is not the u-joints. They are tight as can be and lubed every oil change.

It's the spline area that allows for compression and extension during suspension cycling. To my knowledge there is no re-building that. I might pass it off as norm if it was a little, but I can get alot, prob 1/4",of play at the splines

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The problem is not the u-joints. They are tight as can be and lubed every oil change.

It's the spline area that allows for compression and extension during suspension cycling. To my knowledge there is no re-building that. I might pass it off as norm if it was a little, but I can get alot, prob 1/4",of play at the splines

If its that bad I definatly be looking for a new shaft. I would be replacing asap or your gonna tear up bearings.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yea, think I'll be calling Will(roverguy) tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont think it was greased much before I got it.
Which is it? You've no idea how often it was lubed, or it was lubed every oil change?
If you didn't remove at least one end of the propshaft to check the movement of the u-joints you can not tell if they are ok or not.

A seized u-joint won't move during in situ inspection, but will bind and cause vibration when driving.
They in fact may not be the problem, but you can't know for sure without properly inspecting it.

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft Vibe