Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Frame Spacer Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Front Frame Spacer Noise

Sometimes when I turn the steering wheel to the right, I get a grown from the power steering box. It only happens if I turn to the right and only if I'm going very slow (like from backing up on a three-point turn).

At first I thought I just needed to change the power steering fluid; so I changed it with synthetic and added about a 1/4 bottle of Lucas power steering additive. It still made the noise.

I took the rover to the stealership and they said TSB #76/13/03/NAS should correct the problem and it involved using plug welds to anchor loose frame spacers. I asked if they would do the repair for free since it was a defect and of course they said no. I then asked how much and was told a couple of hundred bucks. I thanked them nicely, did an about face and walked away.

Has anyone done this repair? Also, do I need to purchase a new spacer or can I just use the old one? I found a mechanic who will weld it for $85, but I need to bring the parts. (I would do it, but I do not know how to weld and even if I did, I do not have the equipment). I'm just trying to figure out if we can use the old spacer or if not, where can I get a new spacer?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go back to the stealer and talk to the guy behind the parts counter.
Tell him that you want to take care of that TSB and that you need the parts to do it.
He will be glad to sell them to you.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Winching

Thanks Spike...I went back to the stealership...no new frame spacer needed...but will need : 1) Weld-thru coating (3M #5913 or SEM # 39283); 2) Rusoleum "Hard Hat" coating process; 3) Adhesive Primer #2102; 4) Zinc Spray (Galva) #2185; 5) Flat Black Top Coat # 2178; 6) Satin Black "Marhyde" #3811. Tools needed are MIG welding equipment, 3 mm (1/8 inch) drill bit; 8 mm (5/16 inch) drill bit and automatic center punch.

Has anyone else experienced this? The TSB came out in 2003 and affects all Disco IIs. It is the movement of an internal spacer in the front longitudinal chassis member where the power assisted sterrring (PAS) box is located that causes the noise.

I'm just curious what all has to be removed to make the welds.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

First posting on this site, though I frequently read it as I've had all the "standard" Discovery II issues.

Did you get a response from this personally? I don't see any other posts and am experiencing the EXACT same issues. . .

-Regards

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ryanelliott7
First posting on this site, though I frequently read it as I've had all the "standard" Discovery II issues.

Did you get a response from this personally? I don't see any other posts and am experiencing the EXACT same issues. . .

-Regards

ryanelliott7, Go to dealer and ask them for TSB No# 76/13/03/NAS dated 5/23/03.

The TSB has a complete write-up. If you know how to weld and have the equipment (MIG Welding equipment, drill bits and punches), it is a very cheap fix. I have no clue how to weld and paid a guy at a body shop to do it. It was around $150 for supplies and 1 hour shop time.

Basically you weld the internal spacer where the PAS box is located. You will only have to remove the front tire to perform the work (no other parts or engine components need to be removed).

Good Luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default Front Frame Spacer Noise

Thank you Mwindth,

It took a call to TWO dealerships (and a lot of pleading) to obtain the TSB. Land Rover of Peabody, MA was very resistant about passing out the TSB for this issue and NEVER did. I had to call Land Rover of Bedford, NH. I have attached a .pdf with the current TSB for this issue so others don't have to go through the headache of obtaining it like I did. Hopefully it will save somebody some time.

Good luck to all (with the same issue).

Ryan

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
81Pantah (04-21-2021)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the posting because everyone has given a precious information..
Its very nice and interesting....

Old 08-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know if the TSB has worked for anyone else, but it was snake oil for my D2.

Here are photos should anyone else want to try this fix for the TSB.

Last edited by sdtimb; 08-31-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,264 Likes on 890 Posts

Interesting. Our 03 kind of growns when you turn, not really a PS pump type of grown. Might have to investigate this further.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

What's the point of the spacer?

Quick Reply: Front Frame Spacer Noise