Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front leveling / sway control system

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front leveling / sway control system

What is the name of this system and where can I learn more about it? Sorry if it's an old topic, but I can't figure out what it is or how it works. Do they work? Do people remove them? Do all disco2s have them?
If there's any confusion, I'm discussing the piston connected to the suspension behind the passenger wheel with pressure lines running to it.
TIA

Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

It is called active cornering enhancement, or ACE. It was an optional accessory, and most of the D2s didn't have.

ACE - Active Cornering Enhancement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

that is my single favorite feature of the d2.
think of it like a counter lean that you would do on an atv, while cornering at speed. same basic idea........stability. It works wonderfully. it takes instantaneous measures to counteract the loss of stability.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling

cool! thanks much!
How do I know if it's working?
Is it a detriment to serious offroading?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

if you have ever driven one without ace you will know the difference.
if it is fitted and not working you will feel like you have a jeep. no sway control and sloppy in the corners.....think tipsy turvy
another great feature is that it is inactive at off road speeds. with links that match your lift or in a factory height set up it is very close to the same as a sway bar disconnect.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

simplistic over view= pump + valve block + actuators. pump pressurizes. valve block distributes pressure as determined by computer. actuators apply pressure where needed.

fluid should be clean. flush if needed. power steering fluid is fine. no need for ace junk. small filter on bottom of valve block need be clean also.
check over the lines. there are many. most of which run the passenger side frame rail (to and from valve block) clamps should be in place to keep these lines from possible damage.
actuators and roll bar are simple, but have a few maintenance items. bushings at the actuators. dust covers on the shafts. cradle bushings on the roll bars. links have wearable ends also. these items should be in good condition for a good system.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
if you have ever driven one without ace you will know the difference.
if it is fitted and not working you will feel like you have a jeep. no sway control and sloppy in the corners.....think tipsy turvy
another great feature is that it is inactive at off road speeds. with links that match your lift or in a factory height set up it is very close to the same as a sway bar disconnect.
X1 I haven't got ACE on my D2 TD5 but I did have it on my D2 V8 and the difference is extraordinary. I drove the V8 like an upholstered go kart and the ACE worked like a dream. Fortunately I have air suspension and ACE on my RRS and it's like driving on air, super smooth and quiet with roadholding that's unbelievable.

Amazingly my 20 year old Pajero has torsion bar suspension with AR anti sway bar and it drives very well for it's advanced years (bit like me then ) and even using it today I had to comment to my wife how smooth it drove on the highway considering the AT tires and offroad shocks.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 AM
Rock Crawling

So....has anyone found a way to manually control this system for improved offroading?
Is having it stock as good as a sway bar disconnect? Is there anything that should be done to improve crawling articulation?
Does the rear have this too?

Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Read above
Just like disconnect . It acts best with matching link lengths. If you want it active at low speed you are going to want a different set up

Attached Thumbnails Front leveling / sway control system-image.jpg  

Last edited by dusty1; 02-05-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a brilliant system - leave it standard and it will work nicely. That said, I remove the fuse from the TC/ABS/HDC when off-road on sand and that also trips out the ACE (which makes it floppy, which is ideal).

Last edited by Richard Moss; 02-05-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Front leveling / sway control system