Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Prop shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Prop shaft replacement

04' D II. 110K miles.

So I'm thinking I should replace the front prop shaft before it's too late and save my transmission. I've read tons of threads on here about it but wanted to do a quick re-cap to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm going to order one from British Parts of Utah but since the weather here is a balmy 5 degrees, I wanted to yank the old one first, then wait for warmer weather to install the new one, which means I need to drive it without the propshaft. I've read to replace the 8 bolts as well and use a good socket as to not round off the bolts when pulling the old one.

I read that there is a nub on the CDL that needs turned after yanking the old one to engage the rear wheels. Where is the location of the nub? And is there anything I'm missing on replacing it. I also read to grease the new one during every oil change as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, if your old one is broken pull if not don't. if you are going to replace it you need two 9/16 wrenches. I would also recommend a 9/16 universal impact socket and with 6 inch extension and appropriate ratchet or impact wrench to remove the old one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sx...FYNQ7AodUjYAcQ. .. example of impact universal socket

last on the list is some wire to bale up the drive shaft so it doesn't hit you in the head while removing/loosening old one.

So process is, jack up car safely, crewel under car wire shaft to frame for safety. loosen bolts toward front of engine first. The universal socket works great to get an angle on the bolts, you may want to wd40 these first. rotate the shaft to get at all bolts.

spin around and do the other side, put one hand on the shaft remove wire, 30 min job to remove tops 15 with an impact wrench. Take shaft in garage and inspect it are any of the joints loose. do opposite to install new one

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 01-29-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Mudding

Mike,

Thanks for the info and talking on the phone. I'll get this tackled before I drive it anymore since it's whining at me for attention. Hopefully I come out unscathed without any bumps to the forehead.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Mudding

So a local shop that rebuilds them is saying they lastest they've done is a 2001 Disco and he's not sure until he looks at the shaft if he can do it. My question is..are the 01's the same as the 04's? That will tell me that I should go ahead and pull it, and drive the shaft out to their shop.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The shafts should be the same from 01-04.

I use two 14mm wrenches and can get mine out in 10 minutes tops. I don't use wire to hold it up, I'm just careful. Raise one wheel off the ground to make it easy to spin the shaft, then lower the wheel to the ground as necessary it to lock the shaft and make it easier to loosen the nuts.

You don't have to mess with the 'nub' because your 04 has a CDL shifter. Just shift the CDL on after you pull the shaft and it should be fine. You'll have a new light on your dash warning you the CDL is engaged. People have driven around for months with no front shaft, so you should be fine til you get it rebuilt/replaced.

MAKE SURE THEY REPLACE THE CENTERING BALL. I'd triple check they they know you want it replaced. Many people have been screwed by shops not swapping the centering ball, and it's what makes the u-joints fail, so it's very important to change it.

It's good that you are doing this. My Disco's shaft failed for the previous owner and tore a hole in the floor (luckily the transmission survived unscathed). It had far less than 110k miles on the truck when it happened, so you are seriously in the danger zone with yours.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 01-29-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not reuse the nylocs. Buy new ones every time.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Rock Crawling

...and as I recall, I didn't replace four of the eight bolts. Couldn't actually remove them, so I left them there and simply replaced all 8 nylon nuts. My front prop shaft was also from BPU. Like the product from BPU.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Mudding

thanks for all the advice on this. I will make sure I order the nylon lock nuts and re-use the bolts. I think I'll just order one from Lucky 8 for $250 instead of messing with this local guy on the rebuild.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah i am sure they are the same. he wants to make sure the shaft isnt damage beyond repair, make sure he replaces centering bearing, or give lucky 8 a call.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by hankeester
thanks for all the advice on this. I will make sure I order the nylon lock nuts and re-use the bolts. I think I'll just order one from Lucky 8 for $250 instead of messing with this local guy on the rebuild.

Could you send me the link for this? I have been searching their site and I can't find this exact propshaft... I feel incompetent.

Quick Reply: Front Prop shaft replacement