Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front prop shaft transmission guard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

A loop, THICK, and mounted with SUPPORT will yield one result. Little damage.

While zerks and greasing the thing is preventative it won't stop a shaft from eventually failing.

As long as the front wheels are turning that shaft is going to fly around.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey BEST, are you talking about the cross member that runs beneath the front drive shaft? I currently have mine installed because the lift came with the spacers. If you're not having any problems with your D2's, Im gonna remove mine just because it hangs a little lower.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yes the one people use spacers on when they lift a D2. All 3 of my D2’s have 3inch lifts & I removed those supports on all of them. Zero issues or difference in the D2’s. People tend to argue on them being on/off, and had I noticed a difference I’d have used spacers & kept them. However no change & I don’t have to worry about my shaft slapping into it or digging in (basically loosing any lift when you add a spacer).

Old 09-23-2019, 01:02 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You'd be better off just getting a serviceable front shaft and servicing it regularly. Do it before your OG one fails.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yes the one people use spacers on when they lift a D2. All 3 of my D2’s have 3inch lifts & I removed those supports on all of them. Zero issues or difference in the D2’s. People tend to argue on them being on/off, and had I noticed a difference I’d have used spacers & kept them. However no change & I don’t have to worry about my shaft slapping into it or digging in (basically loosing any lift when you add a spacer).
Ive removed mine on all d2’s with lift.
No problem whatsoever.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
A loop, THICK, and mounted with SUPPORT will yield one result. Little damage.

While zerks and greasing the thing is preventative it won't stop a shaft from eventually failing.

As long as the front wheels are turning that shaft is going to fly around.
Plus- you need movement on a 4x4 - the front shaft drops and moves with the articulation of the solid front axle. Locking it to one position would effectively handicap a rover

Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
Plus- you need movement on a 4x4 - the front shaft drops and moves with the articulation of the solid front axle. Locking it to one position would effectively handicap a rover
Negative. It doesn't move much at the transfer. Stop trying to justify your opinion.
PLENTY of other 4x4's have a shaft loop, why? Why are they right in doing this and we arent?
The ONLY secure way to NEVER have the shaft hit the trans is to stop it from being able to go there.

Agree you could change, grease, zerk fitting your shaft to death, but in the end, it's the pmcs that saves your trans, but if everyone checked their shaft every couple months we would never see smashed trans.

But we do....

Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Winching

Are you saying the front drive shaft on a d2 does not move out of plane with the articulation of solid front axle? Just want to be clear.

I say this in reference to the cross member support beneath the front shaft being removed with a lift. I understand this is getting away from origin of post- I am just sharing my experience with this, not trying to force my opinion. Cheers

Last edited by SundayFunday; 09-23-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I lube my front drive shaft at every oil change personally.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Negative. It doesn't move much at the transfer. Stop trying to justify your opinion.
PLENTY of other 4x4's have a shaft loop, why? Why are they right in doing this and we arent?
The ONLY secure way to NEVER have the shaft hit the trans is to stop it from being able to go there.

Agree you could change, grease, zerk fitting your shaft to death, but in the end, it's the pmcs that saves your trans, but if everyone checked their shaft every couple months we would never see smashed trans.

But we do....
Whoaa easy fella, nothing wrong with justifying an opinion, that's how logical thoughts are formed after all right? It does move, granted not a ton at the T-case. Then again if the support was very close to the T-case it wouldn't do the job very well of securing it in the fateful event of doom. One would want to carefully choose the position that served the best of both worlds. Of course proper service and inspections is a must, I intend to do that, probably replace the shaft with a better one, remove the cat-converters and possibly install a loop. This combination would greatly reduce the issue I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: Front prop shaft transmission guard?