Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front shaft

Snooping around under my truck today I noticed my front shaft has 1 grease fitting which I guess is a good thing. Question is what type of grease should i use? how often? and how much grease do i add? Thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I like the signature haha... you should have more than one grease fitting though, 1 means it's an original factory, or cheap aftermarket replacement shaft.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Winching

^^^Agree, one grease fitting is not good enough. You either need to rebuilt the u-joints and centering ball or get a high quality aftermarket driveshaft. It is recommended that you grease the fittings at every oil change interval.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by buick215
^^^Agree, one grease fitting is not good enough. You either need to rebuilt the u-joints and centering ball or get a high quality aftermarket driveshaft. It is recommended that you grease the fittings at every oil change interval.
Any particular grease? Also how much do I pump in there? I know some things are not meant to be over greased. Dont know about shafts

Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't worry about greasing the shaft, it needs to ne replaced or rebuilt and I would not wait cause if it fails and a great % of them do, it will take out your tranny.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanSaleen

Any particular grease? Also how much do I pump in there? I know some things are not meant to be over greased. Dont know about shafts
On the u-joints it's not possible to over grease them, pump the grease until new clean grease comes out of each cap.

On the slip shaft you don't want to put so much in that it cannot compress, most likely this would be hard to do also, it will probably just push around the splines and out of the gaiter.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
On the u-joints it's not possible to over grease them, pump the grease until new clean grease comes out of each cap.

On the slip shaft you don't want to put so much in that it cannot compress, most likely this would be hard to do also, it will probably just push around the splines and out of the gaiter.
What about the centering ball? I haven't seen or read how to properly grease it. I'm just going to squirt a pump or two into the fitting, but I have no idea.

As for grease, I use high-temp lithium because the problem with failure is from the grease cooking due to high cat convertor temps. So don't go cheap on the grease. As for your single-fitting shaft, don't bother putting pricey grease in it, it won't do you any good. The part that fails is not serviceable on your truck. Either rebuild or replace.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank You 99 Now time to go shopping for a front shaft

Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grease NGLI #2

I grease Driveshafts every oil change. Can't be over greased. If you put a bunch it will sling it all over the underside of truck. I put enough in to start seeing old grease come out around cups till new grease comes out.

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Drive Shaft Maintenance - Grease

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-grease-38019/

Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
What about the centering ball? I haven't seen or read how to properly grease it. I'm just going to squirt a pump or two into the fitting, but I have no idea.

As for grease, I use high-temp lithium because the problem with failure is from the grease cooking due to high cat convertor temps. So don't go cheap on the grease. As for your single-fitting shaft, don't bother putting pricey grease in it, it won't do you any good. The part that fails is not serviceable on your truck. Either rebuild or replace.
The newer drive shafts come with a serviceable centering ball.
I have yet to find just the serviceable centering ball yet when trying to rebuild.