Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front steering damper. When are they bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front steering damper. When are they bad?

I had to remove my front steering damper (oringinal item) on my 03 Disco with 89000 miles on it to do some other engine work and noticed that it doesn't seem to have much of a dampening effect. It does not slide in and out super easy but also doesn't seem like it gives much resistance. What should it feel like? If I replace it is it better to go with a Bilstein or Old Man EMu or just go LR stock. They all go for betwen $69 and $89 at AB.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Front steering damper. When are they bad?

It should be tough to move in and out ( unless you are a monster). I went with the OME replacement and I can really tell a difference. GO with the OME.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Sometimes Heavy-Duty equipment isn't always the best.
If you get a "Heavy duty" stabilizer, itcan increase steering effort and also potentially lead to increased wear on up-stream steering components, like a steering box or steering arm. Such a unit might be perfect if one runs larger than stock tires and off road a lot.

I put a Monroe Heavy Duty unit on our Jeep G/C because it was all I could find on that day. It would probably be just the ticket if I were running larger than stock tires, or doing a lot of off-roading, but my wife doesn't since she is the prime driver.If I were doing it over, I'd have waited and gone for something more along the lines of a stock unit.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark G

Sometimes Heavy-Duty equipment isn't always the best.
If you get a "Heavy duty" stabilizer, it can increase steering effort and also potentially lead to increased wear on up-stream steering components, like a steering box or steering arm. Such a unit might be perfect if one runs larger than stock tires and off road a lot.

I put a Monroe Heavy Duty unit on our Jeep G/C because it was all I could find on that day. It would probably be just the ticket if I were running larger than stock tires, or doing a lot of off-roading, but my wife doesn't since she is the prime driver. If I were doing it over, I'd have waited and gone for something more along the lines of a stock unit.
"WRONG"

There are only 2 after market stabilizers that are most commonly used, Bilstein and Old Man Emu. Go and order an OLE, because you factory unit failed probaqbly 40,000 miles ago.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question "chrisinhouston", I was wondering this myself. I was thinking of replacing mine, it looks like the original one that came on the truck 13 years ago. Disco Mike & OKDisco, thx for the advice.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey DiscoMike, you are so good at advise on our cars, any advise on how to get past our wives with these repairs and upkeep? Need help in this area!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chrisinhouston

Hey DiscoMike, you are so good at advise on our cars, any advise on how to get past our wives with these repairs and upkeep? Need help in this area!!!
X2