Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fu** 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fu** 3 Amigos

Ok just a few moments ago I slowed down to a stop at a red light and my ABS, TC, and Hill decent light came on. They stayed on until I reached home. I turned the truck off and then restarted to see if the lights were still on and they went away. I went driving around my neighborhood for a few miles to see if they came back on and they didn't.

Is this a false alarm or does it just take a good distance for the light to come back on?

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 07-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

well if the lights came on it's not a false alarm. they will come on for good soon. check the ABS sensors make sure they are connected tight.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

yea, i thought that was a horrible movie as well.......oh wait, your talking about your truck.
With that system, considering our trucks arent exactly stripped out race cars, its not a false alarm. get it checked. it may a week to come back on, or it may come back when that a$$hole decides to run a stop sign and you really need it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I just don't understand why they would come on and then come off like that. From what I've read on the forum, typically if they come on, they stay on. Considering it happened at a stop light, is this likely a loose connection as you may suggest Hilltoppersx?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine stay off most of the time and tend to come on when there is damp weather. Sound crazy but thats what they do. Read through Joshes write and start with option B on the ABS modulator. I think that one you will not have to bleed your brakes. I have the ABS Amigo I can rent to you in a week. A guy from WI has it right now. I will be attempting the fix as soon as the heatwave moves out.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Mine stay off most of the time and tend to come on when there is damp weather. Sound crazy but thats what they do. Read through Joshes write and start with option B on the ABS modulator. I think that one you will not have to bleed your brakes. I have the ABS Amigo I can rent to you in a week. A guy from WI has it right now. I will be attempting the fix as soon as the heatwave moves out.
mine are the exact same way. in the dry and warm weather they are fine. in the damp or cold they set off maybe every other time i drive it. normally i can hear a faint squeek from the rear brakes just before they go off. other times its for no good reason other then the temperature and dampness i am guessing. odd,,,

Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys who are having fewer problems depending on the weather sound to me like you've probably got something other than just the bad circuit board/ground issues.

I'm sure bosshogt and the rest of you guys who have been around a while probably know this, but for the newer folks, you need to make sure you get your ABS codes read...just doing the option B fix on the modulator probably won't completely fix your problems unless you're only getting the 114 error code.

Don't get me wrong, for as quick and cheap as Option B is it may not hurt to try it, but if the shuttle valve is leaking, you have a bad ABS sensor, or need a brake job you'll still get the 3 Amigos...

Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
You guys who are having fewer problems depending on the weather sound to me like you've probably got something other than just the bad circuit board/ground issues.

I'm sure bosshogt and the rest of you guys who have been around a while probably know this, but for the newer folks, you need to make sure you get your ABS codes read...just doing the option B fix on the modulator probably won't completely fix your problems unless you're only getting the 114 error code.

Don't get me wrong, for as quick and cheap as Option B is it may not hurt to try it, but if the shuttle valve is leaking, you have a bad ABS sensor, or need a brake job you'll still get the 3 Amigos...
or a hub.

i already did my driver side hub, and now i have to do the pass side. good thing i have CDL or else i wouldn't get anywhere off-road

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
TReK

Like dcarr is suggesting ---> START SIMPLE

Make sure your sensors are clean and tight, and make sure there isn't an excessive amount of brake dust built up as that will throw the sensors. Get your codes read and go from there. Don't start pulling stuff apart until you have a better idea as to what is going on.

For example. When I bought my truck, the 3 Amigos were on. After purchase, I took it to a local indie Rover mechanic, diagnosed a bad speed sensor, checked the provided service records to find that the sensor was replaced by the dealer less than 20K miles ago. I had them clear the codes, I went home and SCRAPED the brake dust off the wheels with a wire brush, and haven't had the Amigos back since (knock on wood).

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Intermittant Amigo's common

I also had intermittant 3 Amigo's...sometimes they would come on for seemingly no reason and not even while braking or anything, but they always went off and were gone at next startup. So no, they don't always stay on if there is/was a fault. Mine had two shuttle valve codes and one other (didn't know how long they had been saved) so I erased them, drove for a week, and only had the shuttle valve ones come back. Did the wire-bypass trick and no amigo's for 2 weeks and counting.

Quick Reply: Fu** 3 Amigos