Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel???

Hello LR board!
Been a while since I have been on here, but the truck has been running great thanks to all the great information! BUT....I have been gone for 3 months and the wife has been driving the LR off and on. She said as it got cold, it would take the truck a few times to start. Today I had the same problem. It sounds like the starter is engaging,(and spinning) but the engine is NOT turning over. Did a little research on the fuel pump/relay and im a but confused on what needs to be replaced. I pulled the rug and had an assistant turn the key (to get lights)but I did NOT hear the fuel pump run..(should I?)
The truck has a half tank of gas(93 oct)..
Thanks in advance..

02 Disco II SD

Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Also..new plugs&wires, air&oil ect at 100k

Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

"Turning over" means starter is turning the engine over but the engine has not yet started.
If the starter is working is the engine trying to start?

I just want to be clear, if the starter is working but not turning the engine over then it is a bad starter.
If the starter is working and engaging the flywheel and the engine is turning over but not starting then it is either a spark or fuel issue.

So which is it?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
"Turning over" means starter is turning the engine over but the engine has not yet started.
If the starter is working is the engine trying to start?

I just want to be clear, if the starter is working but not turning the engine over then it is a bad starter.
If the starter is working and engaging the flywheel and the engine is turning over but not starting then it is either a spark or fuel issue.

So which is it?
Thanks for the help..
Im not a mechanic, so bare with me
I get a high pitch whine, which i will equate to the starter fly wheel spinning..but nothing else is happening..no reviving of the engine..no nothing..just the sound of what sounds like the starter spinning
hope that helps

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I get that your not a tech and thats fine, thats why I wanted to try and clarify.

Try this, open the hood and have your wife try and start the truck, does the fan and stuff turn when she tries to start the engine?
If yes then the starter is working fine and we need to first check for spark, and then for fuel.
If no the fan does not turn then your starter is not engaging the flywheel correctly and you need a new starter.

To check for spark remove one spark plug and then reattach the spark plug wire.
Leave the spark plug laying against the exhaust manifold.
Stand back and have your wife once again try and start the truck, does that spark plug give off a nice strong spark?
This test is best done not in direct sunlight.
If yes put it back and move on to fuel delivery.
If no spark then you need a new crank position sensor.
Do NOT hold the spark plug or wire while checking for spark.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Spike..as things would have it, the darn thing started and my wife laughed at me..
BUT i'm sure I will require her assistance in the am to try the things you suggested..i will let you know how it goes..
thanks again

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Winching

I could be wrong but your crank position sensor might be going bad. It will cause your truck not to start sometimes while other times it will start without a problem.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Rock Crawling

If it is a steady whine from the starter, either the solenoid is bust or the starter bendix is shot.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Drifting

OK..I don't know what happened, but the truck continues to start with no issues...
go figure..I'm at a loss right now, so until it starts acting up again..Thanks for all the advise!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM
4wd Low

You're starter is going bad (actually the solenoid on the starter that operates the bendix) but most starters have the solenoid built in or attached and the starter needs to be replaced as a unit (starter & starter solenoid). This is what your problem sounds like to me. replace it before it leaves you stranded.

Quick Reply: Fuel???