Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cap

Has anyone had issues wit their fuel cap? I am on my second cap for my 2003 D2. They start off working good, then it gets tighter to turn then pretty soon it turns only half way then keeps clicking. They have always been factory caps. The neck looks good. I have no idea.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Clean the neck and cap with steel wool and maybe some silicone spray.
My cap is 14 years old, and yes, it is a little tight, you only need to tighten it until you get the first click.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did the upper engine rebuild about 5 days ago. Ironically been getting the P0455 code so decided to go to autozone and get a new gas cap. Only code other than the ABS which is of course obvious. So far no codes since I've changes it and everything has been great.

I'd try a little engine oil as some others have done, or what Mike said...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Got my cap at AutoZone as well. Truck came with clearly wrong cap: could not be installed after fueling, as cool gasoline would cool down filler neck, reducing its size and making re-fitting of cap impossible. Had to wait an hour or so until it warmed up. New cap flawless!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Got my cap at AutoZone as well. Truck came with clearly wrong cap: could not be installed after fueling, as cool gasoline would cool down filler neck, reducing its size and making re-fitting of cap impossible. Had to wait an hour or so until it warmed up. New cap flawless!
This is the one I got from autozone... CST/Fuel Cap (6817) | AutoZone.com

The only thing I miss is having the string holder thingy attached to the cap so you don't forget to put it on, but I can deal with that versus having the wonderful P0455 code pop up. I think it was around $9 after taxes.. Definitely worth it.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This is actually a TSB for the Land Rovers. They replaced the caps due to the fuel neck threads being out of specs and after shrinking/wearing over time, they became tight. It becomes tight enough that the first click is not all the way seated. On mine, it's getting tighter, so I'll try Mike's fix. That sounds like the best option.

Code:
No:     SB14O
Ref:
Issue:  1
Date:   12/19/03

SERVICE ACTION Fuel Cap/Filler Neck Sealing

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:

NOTE:
   A limited number of vehicles in Retailer inventory are affected by this Action. 
   Editor\'s note: This campaign applies to specific VIN\'s. Contact your local dealer for additional coverage information.

Discovery Series II (LT)      3A767790 to 4A830188
Build Date                    26 February 2002 to 13 August 2003

SITUATION:

POOR SEAL BETWEEN FILLER NECK AND FILLER CAP

NOTE:
   The symptoms outlined for poor filler cap fit condition may also be indicative of a trickle valve failure.

Discovery vehicles in Retailer inventory before the safe VIN may have a fuel filler neck thread manufactured out of specification. This can cause the fuel filler cap to bind and prevent the cap from sealing adequately prior to the start of the fuel filler cap ratchet process. A fuel vapor leak from the filler cap area can cause the MIL lamp to illuminate and fault codes P0446 and P0455 may be logged.

RESOLUTION:

TEST AND IF INDICATED REPLACE FUEL CAP AND/OR FILLER NECK

NOTE:
   This Service Action is for un-sold vehicles held in Retailer inventory only.

Prior to customer delivery test the seal integrity of the fuel filler cap on all vehicles in Retailer inventory before the above VIN. Where indicated, replace e [...]
EDIT: Don't you love how they realize there's a problem, they fix it on all inventory left on the lots, but they ignore all the inventory that was already sold, even though they admit it's a design flaw.

EDIT #2: FYI, here's the link to all the TSB's.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/al...engineid=2966/

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought about about trying to clean the neck. I will try that. It's also good to know aftermarket caps work on this truck. At my shop, we never recommend to use an aftermarket fuel cap for a P0455 code for newer cars.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by discoboy
I never thought about about trying to clean the neck. I will try that. It's also good to know aftermarket caps work on this truck. At my shop, we never recommend to use an aftermarket fuel cap for a P0455 code for newer cars.
Just be careful if you use steel wool, or anything else for that matter, to not allow it to fall into the tank. A plugged Fuel Pickup Screen would be a harder fix.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am having this issue also. The cap starts clicking long before it's fully seated. I can usually make it seat by putting more pressure when turning trying to keep the ratcheting mechanism from clicking. It also seems to be worse during hot weather.

Ethanol can do bad things to plastic and rubber. Could there be a correlation?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Sounds like yet one more '03-'04 issue. My 2003 had exactly the same problem and I went for an OEM replacement. So I can probably expect it to happen again.

If so, I appreciate having the info on the TSB and non-factory replacements.

Thanks!

Ron

Quick Reply: Fuel cap