Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Fix

I wanted to let others know about a problem/fix I encountered.

First, I am new and this is my first post, but I feel like I've read the entire forum after recently purchasing a 2003 discovery with 174k miles. I've always wanted a rover, so when one fell in my lap for $1,000 (brother-in-law was on way to Carmax) I couldn't help myself. I had been warned about these cars to some degree, but I do all my own repairs/mods, so wasn't worried about high dollar dealer repairs. Plus, I cut my teeth on VWs and all their problems, so felt pretty good about my skills.

Anyway, I have already conquered many problems (many more still on my list - all in due time/money) with the help of this forum, so I wanted to pass along some info that I haven't seen.

My fuel gauge was working, but it wouldn't go below 3/4 of a tank. Brother-in-law told me he hit a bump one day and the gauge was off afterward. So, I pulled the fuel pump and realized one of the metal straps had broken loose from the lower section of the pump due to the plastic tab breaking (I assume the pump was leaning on the non-float side allowing the float to stay high). I was able to use a zip tie to keep the metal strap in place but it was a tight squeeze getting the pump back into the tank. I ended up sliding the zip tie off and flipping it inside out so the bulky clasp would recess into one of the notches in the side of the pump after sliding it back on. After reinstalling everything, I turned the key and voila, the gauge immediately registered around a half tank.

I hope this info helps someone else.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thanks