Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Fuel Injector Tip (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/fuel-injector-tip-94899/)

bjordan 05-22-2019 09:28 AM

Fuel Injector Tip

Hi Folks.

My mechanic friend started taking the engine on my 2002 Discovery II apart yesterday to replace the blown head gasket. During the tear down, he notices the fuel injector tips need to be replaced. He described them as either being red or brown in color and shaped like a derby. I looked and found the O ring seal kits we need, but not the injector tips. Any thoughts? Do I need to buy new injectors, or can anyone point me to what he is describing?

Thanks for the help!

User 05-22-2019 09:38 AM

You don't need them. I take them off each time I rebuild my injectors.

bjordan 05-22-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by User (Post 691270)
You don't need them. I take them off each time I rebuild my injectors.

As in, you them throw away? As I understand the text from my mechanic, this is the end of the injector that goes in to the intake that has the tip we are looking for (that you throw away), not the end of the fuel rail. Just to be clear.

Thank you!

User 05-22-2019 10:40 AM

Yes, the part that basically holds the o ring on and looks like a c-clip. Not what holds the injector on to the rail.

I throw them away, they break while replacing o rings and are used for keeping them on and something with fuel flow. As others have mentioned here they aren't needed with these engines and can be discarded.

All of my trucks that I've head the top end apart I have them thrown away. Or if I replace injector o rings I'll toss them.

Lisa Bunch 05-22-2019 11:28 AM

Some of mine broke, they didn't appear to be all that functional since there is no where for that o-ring to go. Clean/test and reassemble with new o-rings.

bjordan 05-22-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch (Post 691287)
Some of mine broke, they didn't appear to be all that functional since there is no where for that o-ring to go. Clean/test and reassemble with new o-rings.

Roger. Thanks to both replies - I spoke to my mechanic and we are moving forward with throwing the tips away, but replacing the O rings with new O rings.

Thanks as always!

Llamasayswhat 05-27-2019 01:52 AM

They are called pintle caps, youre best off just buying a rebuilt set of injectors from eBay for $80 and tossing them in. At that price it isnt worth even thinking about

shanechevelle 05-27-2019 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat (Post 691743)
They are called pintle caps, youre best off just buying a rebuilt set of injectors from eBay for $80 and tossing them in. At that price it isnt worth even thinking about

This is solid advice.

If it was simple I wouldn't care, but ripping all that sh#t off isnt worth it. Buy those rebuilts off of Ebay, I have a set in my rover now.