Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage mods.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017 | 11:29 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Fuel mileage mods.

Yeah yeah, I know, 4X4 suv, forget about mpg.

That being said, I think it's foolish to leave efficiency on the table if it's easily achievable.

So, has anyone noticed increased fuel economy through common mods. Things like, better exhaust and catalytic converter removal, modified air intake, headers, etc. Are there handheld tuner options available? I've always had good luck on full sized trucks with simple things like this, especially in combination with a tuner that adjusted shifting points and fuel.

It's seems like LR intentionally choked these engines down to meet emissions regs but they have decently high compression and could benefit greatly from some air and fuel.

Old 02-10-2017 | 11:53 AM
Overlanding

Putting a high performance air filter definitely helped my MPG a bit and also gave the truck a quieter, smoother feeling idle. K&N 33-2119, $48.99 on Amazon. I think a huge and obvious thing you didn't mention is tires. When I bought my D2 it had Goodyear "FuelMax" tires that were definitely a road-going tread and I could get nearly 360mi out of a full tank. Now that I've got Cooper AT3s I get about 320mi full to empty with 91 or 93 octane gas.

The following users liked this post:
csims3 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-10-2017 | 12:12 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

The plan is to run 235/85r16's with aluminum wheels which I believe should result in an overall rolling mass and drag coefficient that is very similar to the factory 255/55r18 setup.

also, treadwright BFG knockoffs so not a super aggressive tread pattern.

Old 02-10-2017 | 12:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
It's seems like LR intentionally choked these engines down to meet emissions regs but they have decently high compression and could benefit greatly from some air and fuel.
More to do with weights, measures and the wind blocking ability of D2s. Newer LRs don't exactly sip fuel either.

Bosch claims simply replacing old with new O2 sensors all around will increase MPG? A 20 pound rare earth magnet on the fuel line? Lighter boots may help more but not much from my experience.

Old 02-10-2017 | 12:34 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by number9
More to do with weights, measures and the wind blocking ability of D2s. Newer LRs don't exactly sip fuel either.

Bosch claims simply replacing old with new O2 sensors all around will increase MPG? A 20 pound rare earth magnet on the fuel line? Lighter boots may help more but not much from my experience.
Now that you mention this I did replace both upstream O2 sensors in mine not long ago and it did improve fuel efficiency. Keep in mind when one of them goes out you're prone to dropping to single digit MPG so going from that back to 14ish was obviously notable.

Old 02-10-2017 | 12:34 PM
TReK

By far the BEST MPG INCREASE you will see is whatever the Tow Truck is getting!

Old 02-10-2017 | 12:51 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Haha, you guys are sooooooo funny

​​​​​​I am beginning to see why these vehicles are stigmatized. Last night I had to rewire yet another bit of factory harness because LR engineers saw fit to put oxygen sensor pig tails an inch from the exhaust manifolds.

it would seem that all of their R&D went into suspension design and passenger comfort and very little into prolonged usefulness at any level.
​​​​​​
Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge and making things better than they were from the factory, but its funny to see your 2004 luxury vehicle parked in the driveway with the hood up more often than your 23 year old ford pickup that gets beat more than an E.L. James character. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my Lightning, with a 351 Windsor and 4:10's gets better mpg than the rover lol

Last edited by KingKoopa; 02-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2017 | 01:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by brolome
Putting a high performance air filter definitely helped my MPG a bit and also gave the truck a quieter, smoother feeling idle. K&N 33-2119, $48.99 on Amazon. I think a huge and obvious thing you didn't mention is tires. When I bought my D2 it had Goodyear "FuelMax" tires that were definitely a road-going tread and I could get nearly 360mi out of a full tank. Now that I've got Cooper AT3s I get about 320mi full to empty with 91 or 93 octane gas.
320? Never got 260 in mine since new. Thats great

Old 02-10-2017 | 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
320? Never got 260 in mine since new. Thats great
We may have a K&N, Bosch and misc. parts salesman with us.

Old 02-10-2017 | 02:04 PM

The best mpg is when you don't use it but if you insist on V8's unfortunately the eco whizz kids have got there first with their dammed emissions junk.

My best recommendation is to fit a TD5 engine, okay, so it won't fly around everywhere but it's far cheaper to run on fuel and insurance.

Believe me, I owned a 4.0 litre D2 V8, never again, it cost a packet in fuel etc.

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage mods.