Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage mods.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't even get me started on the diesel. Damn eco ***** cut the disco market off at the knees with their evironmental BS. Well modified diesel disco would be one of the most formidable all purpose off road rigs around.

I'm sure the boys across the pond have done well with them ,but had we had them here, 18 years of redneck R&D would have had those little oilers screaming like banshees.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:16 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
We may have a K&N, Bosch and misc. parts salesman with us.
haha! I use them all. Can we get discount next time? Coupon code please

Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

By far the BEST MPG INCREASE you will see is whatever the Tow Truck is getting!
Yes! AAA sponsored my ride everytime.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Don't even get me started on the diesel. Damn eco ***** cut the disco market off at the knees with their evironmental BS. Well modified diesel disco would be one of the most formidable all purpose off road rigs around.

I'm sure the boys across the pond have done well with them ,but had we had them here, 18 years of redneck R&D would have had those little oilers screaming like banshees.
Some coal-rollin' Discos?! Now that would be absolutely ridiculous / funny. But seriously, one can only wonder what a bunch of rednecks could have done with a country full of td 5's. The mind boggles...

Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

All you have to do is look at the Cummins BT4s and see how extreme people get.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
Some coal-rollin' Discos?! Now that would be absolutely ridiculous / funny. But seriously, one can only wonder what a bunch of rednecks could have done with a country full of td 5's. The mind boggles...

​​​​​​I've never been one for the "compensation" stacks and "daddy ain't raised no quiter" clouds of smoke but I love what the good old American boys have done with diesel performance tech in the last 10 years. A small turbo diesel that made 400ft/lb of torque and got 25mpg would have been easily doable with these trucks given the copious amounts of R&D the rest of the U.S. diesel market gets

Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" But seriously, one can only wonder what a bunch of rednecks could have done with a country full of td 5's. The mind boggles... "

Sadly you know there would be Rovers that look like this perversion!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

RE: Mileage, a few things to keep in mind...

I don't know about your disco but my speedometer was off with stock size tires (255/65R16.) When my speedo said 70 I was actually doing 63.

New bigger tires and i went the other way... when the speedo said 70 I was actually going 73!!!

Consider for a moment that if the speedometer is off, so is the Odometer. Every time you calculate your MPG you are using an incorrect reading of the actual miles driven.

False Data!

This can mean the difference between believing you are getting 14.5 and 16.5 mpg.

The same applies to how many miles you can go on one tank of gas. Of course the miles are the same but your odometer will tell you two different things. Neither one of them may be real.

When doing any mod it is best to get a known baseline of your actual MPG by driving over a known distance using a known amount of fuel.

These days google maps is a more accurate measure of how many miles between two points than the odometer on your vehicle.

Fill up the tank, go for a long drive, google that drive or use a GPS and get a read of exactly how many miles you went. compare it to your odometer. fill up the tank again and divide by actual miles, not the odometer.

You will likely be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Dave03S; 02-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

" But seriously, one can only wonder what a bunch of rednecks could have done with a country full of td 5's. The mind boggles... "

Sadly you know there would be Rovers that look like this perversion!
And it doesn't even have a diesel in it!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Efficiency? Always drive downhill, never uphill.

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage mods.