Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully rebuilt engine, multiple misfires as well as P1300

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 02:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fully rebuilt engine, multiple misfires as well as P1300

So upon first start up noticed the car was not running correctly, put the scan tool on it and showed cylinder 3,4,7 misfiring. After multiple code resets cylinder 4 misfire would pop up immediately after reset every time, then others would show up slower after (seemed almost random on which cylinders, the only ones to not show up were 1,2, and 8, every other cylinder had atleast one pop up). P1300 would also show up after around a minute of running after each reset.

Brand new coil packs (Bosch) and new wires (Magnacors), and used spark plugs with roughly 5K miles on them (NGK Iridums).

Looking on previous posts it seems like the Magnacors are pretty unreliable and need to buy multiple kits to get ones that work.

Wonder if anyone else had similar issues or something, im leaning towards coil pack or wire failures or even incorrectly installed wires or something (probably need to pull off intake and recheck everything) but not quite positive.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

What is the description for the P1300?

Old 05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

I downloaded this from here for a quick reference.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
What is the description for the P1300?
So just barely started it cold and doing the same thing, P1300 popped up with boost calibration fault and misfires detected on 3,4,7

Last edited by Freedom38; 05-28-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577

I downloaded this from here for a quick reference.
I was wondering if I put wires incorrectly, later today I was going to recheck them and make sure they are installed in the correct position.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedom38
I was wondering if I put wires incorrectly, later today I was going to recheck them and make sure they are installed in the correct position.
Yeah, I saw that in your above post.
It's probably the best problem you could have, since it's easy to make the mistake and easy to fix.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: swapped over to old coil packs and confirmed correct setup, also tried old crank position sensor didn't effect anything, still running p1300 and misfires on 3,4, and 7, wondering if I ended up not perfectly aligning timing chain. When I assembled the engine I checked it multiple times and I swore it was lined up.

The engine shakes pretty violently below 1500 RPM but above that it smooths out much more.

Gas is around 6 months old, possibly clogged/failed injectors or just bad fuel? Haven't checked fuel pressure yet but it's a fairly new fuel pump so I'd imagine that would be fine.

Old O2 sensors, new camshaft sensor. Everything in the engine is new besides crankshaft, heads, and block.
​​​​​​
the timing advance is around 39 degrees at 3k RPM and roughly 28-30 degrees at idle.

Also wondering if it was possible I installed the flywheel incorrectly. From reading the service manual and from previous setup I could see where they all lined up but I'm starting to question everything now.

edit: I have also changed around spark plugs to different cylinders and misfires do not change cylinders so I do not think it is the plugs.

Last edited by Freedom38; 05-29-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I'll start by saying I don't have a lot of experience with these particular engines but I'll throw out my general observations for what their worth. I think you can rule out the flywheel being a problem. If you had rotated it by 90 or even 180° the CKPS would be seeing the signal at an entirely different time and your timing would be so far off I don't think you'd get combustion at all. The timing chain being off a tooth could be a consideration. The advance numbers you posted seem odd to me, again, I'm not well versed in this area but I think there should be a greater variance at idle versus 3k. Should be easy to look up though. Under-performing injectors could be contributing to the misfires, at higher rpm it would be less noticeable due to the rotational inertia.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,455 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Ok, so no change with old coil packs? Have you swapped known good plug wires (no misfire code) with cylinders throwing misfire codes? Do that next. If that does not rectify it, try unplugging the 02's and then the MAF. It will default to rpm/tps programming and shoudl smooth out.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling

So checked old wires, no change. unplugged 02 and MAF sensors, no change. Currently ordered new fuel injectors, was wondering if they were clogged/broken (wanted to get new ones anyways since they were on there since it was new). If this does not fix it I will go ahead and pull off the timing cover and recheck timing, I did try to check it with a little probe but was unable to see the crank timing mark.

Quick Reply: Fully rebuilt engine, multiple misfires as well as P1300