Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage...yikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Gas Mileage...yikes

I have an 02 Disco as well with 48K miles on it. I just got back from a trip and was getting about 380 miles per tank.

Old 05-21-2007 | 11:16 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Darover

I agree with newfoundlandrover 100%. You can't own a vehicle that is synonym with upper class and prestige without at least treating it as it was designed to. If it's made to run with premium, so be it. If your too cheap to fill it up with the intended gas, get something that runs on cheap gas. And you know what???? as I've said on my previous post... you'll go further with premium than with regular, so it doesn't cost you anything to run premium.

If on the other hand you want to save money at the pump, then get the spark plug wires and other things ( that actually work)that will enhance your mileage. Don't get me wrong, I, like you, am not impressed with the fuel mileage that I'm getting. That is why I'd rather spend money on things that will enhance the m.p.g and at the same time the well being of my vehicle. It might take me a year if not more in saving gas to make up for the money spent on fuel saving additives and add-ons. But I'd rather spend it there than giving my money to those robbing assh$%?* that are the gas companies.

P.S. By additives and add-ons, I mean synthetic oils in the tranny, t-case and axles, and spark plug wires with good plugs with perfectly working exhaust and O2 sensors. And in my case...K&N air filter. I've heard about the MAF thing, but until I blow it once, I'll run one because I really enjoy the mid range power that I noticed after installing it.... I don't mean the crap like those tornado things and magnets and all the other false claim gadgets.
Well, when your MAF fails, and it will because of the K&N, I have a friend who has one of the best sites on line to buy new ones, he would be glad to take your order.
Mike

Old 05-21-2007 | 11:23 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: flygirl92

ORIGINAL: Newfoundlandrover

I can't believe this thread. Guy's..(and Gal's)....These are Land Rovers,not average commuter vehicles.The are full time four wheel drive V8 powered,heavy,built like a locomotive Land Rovers...real ones! Yes,they drink gas like a 5 ton U haul,but look how these trucks are built!...like a bloody tank.I hate plucking those twentys from my wallet everytime I fill up as much as everyone else,but that is to be expected when you own one of these units.Yes,there are ways to make these vehicles a little more economical,but don't start running cheap gas.If you can't handle the extra $6 per tank for premium,than maybe you should consider a more economical vehicle.Seriously Guys(and Gals),these are expensive trucks to run and I can't figure out for the life of me why some of you even own one.I don't mean to offend anyone,it's truly not my intent.

Newfoundlandrover: I am the PROUD FEMALE owner of a Disco II......after reading other threads, I realized I was not getting the fuel performance as everybody else.....I am only getting between 120-130 miles per FULL tank. It's not a money issue by no means, I could fill up everyday if need be, but when I read that most folks are getting between 300-350 miles per tank, then I thought it might be wise to ask if there was some type of maintenance i should have done to better it. I was VERY aware what I was getting myself into when I bought the vehicle. The salesman was very honest with me about the expense this vehicle can generate as far as maintenance and repairs!!! Just wanted to clarify myself, being that I am the one who started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how is old Betsey running, has she forgiven you yet???
Back to MPG, having already replace my plugs and wire 4 years ago,using Magnacor 8mm wires and Bosch Platium Plus 4's, I changed the plugs out after 65,000 miles on them and installed some of the ne Bosch Fusion plugs last week. I am now getting even better low end torgue and gained 2.5 more MPG. Test drove my truck with it hugh tires, locker, gears and 5600 pound of beauty at 65 with the air off, in Denver mind you at 6000 plus feet and am now getting 18.5 MPG.
Something to think about.
Mike

Old 05-21-2007 | 03:58 PM
Mudding

Disco Mike, so what are you saying??

Are you saying that they should normally get that kinda mileage?

That changing the wires and plugs will help achieve that?

I mean, I've got a regular 03 SE7 and I normally get around 12ish mpg...

oh!.. and where can I order those wires? I keep hearing people say that got a good deal from you? and who can install them for me?? :S

Thanks!

John-Robert

Old 05-21-2007 | 05:41 PM
Administrator

John,
Send me your tele number and I'll answer some of your questions.
Realize when brand new some Discos got pretty good mileage on the road, certainily less in town, but alot better then what your are getting.
There are a number of tricks to increasing the MPG.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 01-15-2008 | 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: newBrover
I get 250 miles in the top half of a tank.
I barely make 250 miles on one full tank in my 99' Disco I, maybe I should search for a fix to the gas consumption as well.

Old 01-15-2008 | 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy

What is your mileage? fill it up, run it down, and when you fill it up again, divide the miles driven by the gallons to fill up. Do this a couple of times and you should have a fair average. D1's should get better mileage than D2's if they are up to par on tune...

Old 01-15-2008 | 07:57 PM
Three Wheeling

I hit 238 miles on the trip before the gas light came on today, from a topped off tank. 25 gallon tank if I remember correctly, not too good when gas is over $3.50 a gallon.

Old 01-15-2008 | 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Iridium plugs, full synthetics, Shell Premium gas, 40 psi in the rubber, windows up, cruise set at 65 and 20+mpg in my '97.

Flygirl, you have a issue that needs attention, you know that. Start with tire PSI and airfilter. A bad thermostat with cause bad mpg too. If the engine runs to cold it mpg will suffer. Plugs and wires, you already took care of that. If you have a Yak Rack take it off. Also unload the 1000lbs of bricks out of the back too.
After thought, you may have a brake that is hung up.

Old 01-15-2008 | 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: N.Franklin

I hit 238 miles on the trip before the gas light came on today, from a topped off tank. 25 gallon tank if I remember correctly, not too good when gas is over $3.50 a gallon.
did you put 25 gallons in it? have you changed your O2 sensors?

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage...yikes