Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster ????

I am new to Land Rover Discovery's and have my first problem. I have a 2001 Disco series II and went to turn it on today and noticed that the check engine light, TC light, ABS light, and down hill light is on??? Doesnt drive or handle any different so not sure where to start to look for the problems. I wanted to go to the dealer but they are out of the world w/ their prices just to look at it and have a couple of mechanic friends that work at gmc dealerships that will help me but thought I would ask you guys first that know these vehicles very well. Any input would be great.

Thanks
David

Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Gauge Cluster ????

I'm no expert on the Discovery but it has been my experience that when alternators start to get weak or lose a diode on these newfangled all electronic cars, just about every light on the dashboard lights up and all sorts of wierdness happens. You might takethe truckto an alternator shop for a test.

One of the most common failures for an alternator is a diode giving out. There are usually several in an alternator and when one goes, the alternator will start producing a portion of its output as AC current instead of DC (called ripple)which I suspect is what causes the wierdness. Anyway, alternator shops will have a ripple tester that can detect this problem.

I had similar symptoms on my '99 Rodeo a few months ago and a new OEM alternator fixed all of the gremlins. Also- it's worth checking the battery terminals and cleaning them up with a terminal brush. Doing this simple process has solved other wierdness in other cars for me in the past. Good luck and maybe someone with more Land Rover knowledge than me will chime in.

Dave

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

David, it's not your alternator, you have thrown a brake fault. Yes, you don't want to go to the dealer and unless your friends have a lap top type scanner like an Auto Logic, then they can't help you.
Might want to call me and let me walk you thru what is going on and what you have to do next.
303-862-7680

Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 call Mike. It is not your alternator. If you search the three amigos on here, you will see this is a relatively common problem.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks I will give you a call sunday if that is alright w/ you mike?