Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster Replacement and the 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauge Cluster Replacement and the 3 Amigos

I have a 2000 Disco 2 V8 with the SALTY vin. After I installed the CDL linkage from an '04 and got it working well I realized in the snow one night at the worst possible time that my TC, ABS, HDC doesnt work. No lights on the dash once I installed the linkage so I figured no need to snip the SLABS wire. Plus I have heard that not all vehicles require the SLABS wire to be cut. I noticed previously that the dash over the gauge cluster was loose so I removed the cluster and I see that the previous owner removed the little LED's behind the Amigos warning lights. Not hard to figure out why. It is cleaner than just putting tape over them I guess. I ordered a replacement gauge cluster on ebay for $30 and I am wondering will it require any reprogramming or does it just plug and play? The part numbers were matched perfectly. Also once it is installed and the 3 amigos are lit up (I am quite confident they will be) should I still need to snip the SLABS wire or should I start with the shuttle valve mod or wheel speed sensors or elsewhere? Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

You dont need to snip the SLABS wire to fix this.

First -- you should fix the reason why you're having 3 amigos. Ie shuttle valve, rough road / wheel speed sensor / other issue (which is well documented here). This has nothing to do with the wire snipping thing.

Then, since you have CDL, if you turn the truck OFF with CDL engaged, when you restart, it will trigger the amigos to be on. So, that's what the wire snipping is all about -- if you snip that one wire, then the truck doesn't know... the early up to 02 SLABS boxes didn't know what to make of the "CDL on" input so snipping the wire is a lobotomization. That said, on my 00, I didn't snip the wire. The real way to do it is with a 2004 SLABS unit.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Overlanding

Ok Thanks. I want to fix the amigos but they havent actually been on due to a previous owner removing the LED's in the gauge cluster. Once they are on I will go from there fixing the problem. Feels weird being the only person ever trying to get the 3 amigos to come on. Lol. Any idea on the gauge cluster replacement? Will it plug and play or must I get it programmed? Thanks

Old 02-03-2022, 03:31 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

If you replace the gauge cluster, you will also have to replace the BCU and the ECU because they all synchronise together. Plenty of threads on here about this.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:52 PM
Overlanding

Ive looked at several threads and they all pertain to swapping different year gauges and keeping your original PCB. I cant keep my original PCB since the LED's were removed from the circuit board so keeping it with a new cluster would solve nothing. My gigantic **** hooks have no chance of soldering tiny LED's onto a circuit board either. I am using a cluster meant for my exact model and year so hopefully the only problem might be the odometer and i dont care about that since I wont be selling it to anybody other than for parts when it (or me) finally dies for good. I guess I will plug it in and see what happens.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Get a code reader and see what codes are present.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:51 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Get a code reader and see what codes are present.
I have an ultragauge and the only codes are P1129 and P0158 which I think are O2 sensor related. Nothing regarding ABS or anything like that. Not sure if UG picks uo those codes or not though.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Actually -- small adjustment to what was said above. You can very easily replace the gauge cluster with similar year (try to get the same PN#) without replacing ECU and BCU, and without affecting any function of the Disco except the odometer, which will flash.

99 gauge clusters had a slightly different fuel gauge from 00-02. Then 03/04 are different as well. Anyway, it's quite easy.

Important - -- You just need to replace it with a gauge cluster with one with less miles on it. Then with Nanocom you can "sync mileage" and it'll put the car's mileage (which is higher) on the gauge cluster. The way this then works is whichever has higher mileage syncs to both.

Did I get that right everyone?

Old 02-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Overlanding

Yeah its the exact same part number, same year everything. Not worried about the odometer really. Thanks. Sounds like it should work fine.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:57 PM
Winching
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

To Nashvegas's post.

A couple of things.

If you synch the replacement instrument cluster with the existing BCU the replacement instrument cluster needs to have a higher milage than the BCU. It only synchs one way. It won't change the milage on the instrument cluster it will only change it in the BCU.

There is a work around. You can find a replacement Instrument cluster with a lower milage and not synch them. Because the milage in the BCU and the instrument cluster are different the milage in the instrument cluster will be blinking. This blinking can be stopped with a Nanocom. Technically the instrument cluster's odometer will show a milage and the BCU will have another milage for the vehicle. But in the real world scenerio the only milage that really matters is the one on the instrument cluster.

This is the case with my D2 for about 2 years. The screen on the original instrument cluster went bad. Because my replacement instrument cluster was a lower milage it would not synch. So I just stopped the blinking with a Nanocom. Mine is a salvage title so the milage does not matter anyway.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (02-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Replacement and the 3 Amigos